SQLServerAgentError

• Have set up an Operator email name selected from Win2k Server Active Users and pressed test. This returned the following error:

Microsoft SQL-DMO(ODBC SQL State:42000)

Error 22022: SQLServerAgentError: The SQLServerAgent mail session is not running; check the mail profile and/or the SQLServerAgent service startup account in the SQLServerAgent Properties dialog.

In the SQLServerAgent Error log, I get the following:

[260] Unable to start mail session (reason: Unable to logon (reason: Unable to get the default MAPI Message Store due to MAPI error 285: The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for maintenance); check the mail profile and/or the SQLSERVERAGENT service startup account).

The SQL server agent and server startup account is a domain user only and a SQL Server Systems Administrator and starts up both services with no problems. Both SQL Mail and SQL Server Agent mail sessions start and stop a MAPI session using the SQLServerAgent profile. Exchange Server is definitely available and working. I've tried giving the startup account Builtin\Administrator rights to no avail. And... I can't find anything on the above errors on the MS Support site.

Can anyone help???

• did you loggin in with the windows account that starts the services and create a mail profile for that user?

• Yes I did this and sent an email using Outlook to make sure the profile is working.

• Did you try sending an email with xp_sendmail? And if so, Did you get the same errors? Is the Exchange server in the same domain that in wich SQL Server is?

• Yes, xp_sendmail works no problem. And, yes, the Exchange server is in the same domain as SQL Server (in fact, it's on the same machine, as well).

• Well...that coud be a problem then, I read once, that it is not right to have both on the same server. I will try to find an article, if anyone knows the reasons why, please post them..

• This is how I have set-up SQL Mail and it works fine. (Not same machine as Exchange Server however)

1. Login to server as account that will start SQL Server, Mail, etc...

2. Create the Outlook Mail settings

3. Modify the Startup to use this account for SQL Server, Mail

4. Restart SQL Server, Agent

5. Go into SQL EM and modify Agent, Mail to use the profile you created

6. Either logoff the account or lock the server depending on your company policy

7. Attempt to send mail to the operator again after verify that everything still is ok

Hopefully this will help. I know you may already have done these steps however, it doesn't hurt to check.

Also, Have you recently upgraded to SP3?? If yes you may want to research the different Agent settings that need to be modified to ensure mail and other functions will be able to be ran from non-sa

Curious to find solution

AJ Ahrens

SQL DBA

Custom Billing AT&T Labs

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Have already done all of the first bit.

And yes we are running SP3??

Have you any information on any changes to Agent settings to ensure mail and other functions will be able to be ran from non-sa, as I have searched the MS site for possible solutions...

• There probably is more than this but, this is what I had to do.

1. Goto properties of the SQL Server Agent > Job System tab

2. Uncheck the Only sysadmins....

3. Click on Reset Proxy Account button and enter valid Domain UserId/Password.

I have had to modify other items to get other things to work but this is all I have had to modify for the Agent

Please let me know.

Thanks,

AJ Ahrens

SQL DBA

Custom Billing AT&T Labs

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Thanks very much. That seems to have fixed it. They always hide something simple away in the recesses...

I'll test it properly next week (Easter Hols over here) and let you know if anything crops up.

Thanks again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply