SQLServer2000 is not using and index in query

• I have 2 tables A, B in SQL 2000. Table A contains 1,323,540 rows and table B contains 1,902,932 rows. The Primary Key of Table A is used as foreigh in Key in Table B. Indexes on both fields in both tables are created (PK in A, Non-Clustered in B).

I am simply joing tables A and B on foreign key and applying a filter in where criteria on table A. The query is executed very slow. I checked the EXECUTION PLAN and it shows that it is scanning the table B. I think it should seek index created on table B but it is not doing this.

Please help why it is behaving like this.

• Could be a number of things.  How often do you update your statistics and/or reindex your tables?  Use DBCC SHOWCONTIG to find out how fragmented your indexes are.

John

• Posting the query might help us guide you towards ensuring the indexes you have are appropriate.''

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Yes, please post the query... chances are, the criteria in the WHERE clause is what's keeping the index from being used...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Without seeing anything I can pretty confidently state that it is either old statistics (and you are asking for data at the 'tail' of the set) or more likely you are simply asking for more than 10-20% of the total data in the set in which case the optimizer won't use an index anyway since index usage will be more costly than table scans.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• quoteor more likely you are simply asking for more than 10-20% of the total data in the set in which case the optimizer won't use an index anyway since index usage will be more costly than table scans

Heh... we've been though this... that's just not true in all cases especially if a covering index is involved...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Another possibility, if the previous excellent suggestions don't fix the problem, is having different data types in the joined fields.  This requires a conversion function which makes indexes useless.  The fields in a foreign key relationship would have to be compatible, but if there are additional fields in the join this is a possibility.

• Good of you to remember our last discourse Jeff!!  HEHEHE

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Try moving the filter condition on table a from the WHERE clause to the ON clause. This generally speeds up most queries, as the WHERE clause is not applied until all the records in the tables are merged.

Regards, Peter

• Do you have any examples of this?  I'd be interested in seeing them.

• I take it back. With this simple example it doesn't seem make any difference when I checked further. It is more useful when there are more than two tables joined together.

What I was suggesting was changing:

Select * from tableb b inner join tablea a on b.fkey = a.pkey where a.somefield = 'somevalue'

to:

Select * from tableb b inner join tablea a on b.fkey = a.pkey and a.somefield = 'somevalue'

• This query may useful

Select a.* from a

inner join b

on (a.id = b.id and b.age >30)

where a.sex = 'M'

Bye

• ???

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply