SQLServer won't start?

• Hi

Not sure what happened, but hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

sqlserver won't start, the event log has this error

Faulting application name: sqlservr.exe, version: 2014.120.4100.1, time stamp: 0x5535c7e7

Faulting module name: MSVCP100.dll, version: 6.3.9600.19678, time stamp: 0x5e82c88a

Exception code: 0xc0000135

Fault offset: 0x00000000000ecf40

Faulting process id: 0x19ec

Faulting application start time: 0x01d6e5f4a589e1c7

Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe

Faulting module path: MSVCP100.dll

Report Id: e338cdb0-51e7-11eb-8194-0050569431a5

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thx

• Have you checked the SQL log?  That will likely tell you what is wrong.

Now, if memory serves, the MSVCP100.dll is the Microsoft Visual C redistributable, so if that got updated or corrupted, you may need to do a repair install on either SQL Server or on the redistributable packate.

But step 1 - check the SQL Logs to see why SQL failed to start.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Thanks for getting back...

The only way I know to get to the logs is via SSMS  connecting to the DB which it won't do.

Is there another way?

• The logs are stored on disk along with the SQL instance in a folder called "Logs".  You will be looking for the file "ERRORLOG" (no file extension) and you can open that up in notepad (or equivalent... I recommend notepad++, but it is whatever you prefer) and it should provide you with some useful information.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Just a note: If you need to work regularly with log files, consider looking at the Microsoft's log parser toolkit. This is a stand-alone EXE with a small footprint. Uninstall by simply deleting the EXE. You can use regular SQL-style SELECT FROM query syntax, including WHERE, JOIN and even GROUP BY clauses. Output can be redirected to CSV files (among others). It is blazingly fast, and has helped me many times. Avoid using it against a "live" log file - always work with a copy

• jbalbo wrote:

Hi

Not sure what happened, but hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

sqlserver won't start, the event log has this error

Faulting application name: sqlservr.exe, version: 2014.120.4100.1, time stamp: 0x5535c7e7 Faulting module name: MSVCP100.dll, version: 6.3.9600.19678, time stamp: 0x5e82c88a Exception code: 0xc0000135 Fault offset: 0x00000000000ecf40 Faulting process id: 0x19ec Faulting application start time: 0x01d6e5f4a589e1c7 Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe Faulting module path: MSVCP100.dll Report Id: e338cdb0-51e7-11eb-8194-0050569431a5 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thx

Did you do any recent update? Cans you share your SQL server configuration?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply