SQLServer with DB and reporting services

• Hello,

we have a SQL server in which the load is huge. especially when the reporting services configuration part is slow.

can i select "Boost sqlserver priority" and "use windows fibers(lightweight pooling)", Will there be a impact in the server having same no of processors and RAM?.

what will "AWE to allcoate memory does".

kindly help.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• can i select "Boost sqlserver priority" and "use windows fibers(lightweight pooling)", Will there be a impact in the server having same no of processors and RAM?.

what will "AWE to allcoate memory does".

1. Boost SQL Server Priority

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/arvindsh/archive/2010/01/27/priority-boost-details-and-why-it-s-not-recommended.aspx

2.use windows fibers(lightweight pooling)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319942

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/460130/windows-fibers-lightweight-pooling

3. Are you running 32bit with more than 4GB Physical Memory?

If yes, then AWE can with additional setting to the OS make use of more memory.

If NO, AWE wont benefit you at all, 64 bit can allocate the memory already.

None of these settings will benefit you straight away, without proper investigation.

I would not advise modifying any of these values without a proper understanding of what they do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• thanks

the server is 32bit, win 2003, with 2 processor and 8 GB RAM and a virtual one.

as you said with some OS settings AWE will help can you share that information as the systerm RAM is 8 GB which is sufficient as you said.

i will not change anything till i understand both the settings.

thanks in advance.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• 8 GB RAM and a virtual one.

not sure what you mean with "a virtual one"...

Read up on the link I provided, also read up on PAE and /3gb switch for Windows 32bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• server is a virtual server

if i use AWE max memory will it set for reporting services as well or it will be different as the services are different.

Regards
    Durai Nagarajan

• Henrico Bekker (4/20/2012)

3. Are you running 32bit with more than 4GB Physical Memory?

If yes, then AWE can with additional setting to the OS make use of more memory.

If NO, AWE wont benefit you at all, 64 bit can allocate the memory already.

AWE is still helpful on 32-bit machines with less than 4GB of RAM. It enables access up to the entire 4GB of RAM on the machine.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply