SQLServer 7 Multi User Performance Issue

• I’m new so forgive my use of incorrect terms.  I’ll do my best to describe the situation.  I have a process in a VB6 application which inserts a large number of records into SQL Server 7 data tables.  After having moved the SQL from the application into Stored Procedures, it still takes a considerable amount of time to process, but it is in the acceptable time range.  There is one UPDATE in the SQL, but at this time it is necessary.

The problem is there is a performance loss when multiple users run the process.  When two users are running this procedure concurrently, the processing time almost doubles.  Three users slow it down almost to almost triple.  This is a big problem considering this will be used by possibly 50 users concurrently.  Can anyone steer me to a possible solution?  Any and all responses are greatly appreciated.

Tracey

• Tracey - your question is rather vague.  Briefly some things that need to be known to even take a stab at helping you.

1.  Design of the SQL table(s) into which the data is being inserted

2.  Does the table have a clustered index

3.  The code snippet that appears to be the problem

Then maybe someone can take a shot at giving you some guidance

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply