SQLServer 7 Forced Shutdown Problems.

• I am having problems with our SQLServer 7 SP3. It is installed on an NT4 Workstation, so it is a Dekstop Version. I get the following error.

spid40 Found active sdes for spid 40 tabid 1920725895 in clean_process

spid43 Found active sdes for spid 43 tabid 2128726636 in clean_process

spid43 Found active sdes for spid 43 tabid 1920725895 in clean_process

spid43 Found active sdes for spid 43 tabid 2128726636 in clean_process

spid43 Found active sdes for spid 43 tabid 1920725895 in clean_process

spid42 Found active sdes for spid 42 tabid 2128726636 in clean_process

spid42 Process 42 unlocking unowned resource: TAB: 5:2128726636 []

spid42 Warning: Process status structure (PSS) found with open session descriptor (SDES). PSPID 42, PSUID -1, PCURDB 5, range entry 0, SDESP 0x1c1c5ce0, object ID 2128726636.

server Using 'sqlimage.dll' version '4.0.5'

It is causing the server to shutdown and restart sometimes 3 times a day. The "Found active SDES" is always for the same 2 tables and the "unlocking unowned resource" error is always for the same table. We have about 100 other tables in the database but it never occurs to any of them. As far as I can tell there is nothing special/different about these 2 tables.

The closest bug I can find in the MS Knowledge Base is Q240853 which is fixed in SP3, which we have. And also we have set "max degree of parallelism" to 1.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this problem?

• Have to run DBCC CHECKDB to see if anything is found wrong with the database itself? Or DBCC CHECKTABLE? Could be a problem with the allocations for the table internal to the database.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Yes, I have already run DBCC and have checked everything I can think of.

• Are you using text columns in the affected tables? Local query or distributed?

Andy

• quote:

Are you using text columns in the affected tables? Local query or distributed?

Andy

The tables are accessed as linked tables through Access 97. One table has 4 text fields and the other has 3. We are using alot of text fields in the database.

When you say Local query or Distributed? Do you mean how are the tables being accessed? I can find no correlation between user activity and the crashes. The only connection to the tables is when people login using the Access front ends they attach to a number of linked tables (around 80) including the 2 which show up in the Log and specifically the one causing the ShutDown. But there is no activity on the tables when it crashes.

• Distributed meaning use a linked server or openrowset. Do you have the text colummns full text indexed?

Andy

• I think Andy is referring to the following KB Article on Microsofts site.

http://webferret.search.com/click?wf,+%2Bin+clean_process+%2Bsdes,,support.microsoft.com%2Fsupport%2Fkb%2Farticles%2FQ277%2F8%2F39.ASP,,fastsearch

Which you state you have SP3 and this should have fixed. You could have had issues though with the SP3 install that did not show up and may want to reinstall.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I am not using any Text indexes, just the Primary Key (integer) in both tables, but that Fix Q277839 sounds very much like what I am experiencing.

I think I will reinstall the SP3 to see if that helps. As I haven't tried that yet. We are migrating to SQL Server 2000 as soon as our W2K Server is operational and I am suspecting that the problem will go away once we move, but that could be a while.

• Let us know if SP3 reinstall helps.

• I haven't reinstalled SP3 but I have managed to track down what was causing it. I had a View which was based on a Union of a few tables which contained Text fields. I had to cast the text fields as varchar(255) before they were Unioned. The database only had a problem with it when the View was accessed as a Linked Table in Access97. This problem did not happen under SQL Server 2000. Thanks for the suggestions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply