SQLEM - Save Me From Myself

• I find the DTS Import/Export Wizard in SQL Enterprise Manager to be handy for moving objects into production. However, during the "Select Objects to Copy", an option exists to "Include all dependent objects" which is set by default. If I move a few objects and forget to uncheck this, I will likely wipe out all the production data in the tables that a stored procedure depends upon. Ever get that sinking feeling that you forgot to uncheck the sucker?

Does anybody know how to change the default or to otherwise provide some safety to the process? If so, you can save my heath plan some money.

I'm not really looking for a "Don't use SQLEM kind of answer".

RandyHelpdesk: Perhaps Im not the only one that does not know what you are doing. 😉

• Don't see a way to change that setting by default. You could log in as a user with circumscribed permissions in the target database.

--Jonathan

--Jonathan

• SQLEM is not designed for repeatable safe processes. I know you said you don't want a "Don't Use SQLEM kind of answer" but if you use SQLEM for copying changes to production you will need a good health care plan. Using SQLEM to add database columns, alter tables or even copying stored procs to a production database is unsafe, because it it subject to user error. I've used SQLEM in production and I've messed up. I agree the DTS Import/Export Wizard is great but not for production changes. If it can't be scripted and tested it's subject to error.

Francis

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply