SQLCMD variable scripting - injecting a variable into another

• Okay this should be possible; if the injection is working correctly. What I am trying to do, is have a sqlcmd variable inject its value into another sqlcmd variable. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

(Hint copy into SSMS, and select Query -> SQLCMD mode to run this)

:SETVAR DB_NAME_ASSIGN "TEST TEXT"

:SETVAR DB_NAME_TEXT "EXPECT INSERT OF DB_NAME_ASSIGN HERE: $(DB_NAME_ASSIGN)"

/*Get output*/

SELECT '$(DB_NAME_TEXT)' AS OUTPUT

SELECT '$(DB_NAME_ASSIGN)' AS OUTPUT

/*Expect DB_NAME_TEXT OUTPUT to be:*/

/* DB_NAME_TEXT "EXPECT INSERT OF DB_NAME_ASSIGN HERE: TEST TEXT*/

/*Unfortunatly I get : EXPECT INSERT OF DB_NAME_ASSIGN HERE: $(DB_NAME_ASSIGN)*/

Any ideas what I can do to get this to work (as I kind of need nested variable injection - nothing in BOL saying its not supported, possibly a bug)?

[SQL 2008 SP1 Dev Edition]

• I spent a few minutes looking around and experimenting and I did not see a way to do it. I don't know everything you're trying to do, however while it may not be your preference this technique might work for you:

:SETVAR DB_NAME_ASSIGN "TEST TEXT"

:SETVAR DB_NAME_TEXT "EXPECT INSERT OF DB_NAME_ASSIGN HERE: "

/*Get output*/

SELECT '$(DB_NAME_TEXT)' + '$(DB_NAME_ASSIGN)' AS OUTPUT

/* Delivers:

EXPECT INSERT OF DB_NAME_ASSIGN HERE: TEST TEXT

*/

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Yes, had to take the approach of breaking it down into further variables, then concatting the results together.

Seems like it would be a nice thing to have the ability to inject sqlcmd var values into another one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply