SQLAgent - TSQL jobs hangs

• SQL Server 2005

I have two tables

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING around 2 million records

t_DTM_DATA around 251 million records

The below SQL statement looks for records in the t_DTM_DATA_STAGING table that are not in the t_DTM_DATA table and adds them to a 3rd table. (t_DTM_DATA_STAGING2)

This statement has been running fine for weeks, but now it seems to get hung every day. I ran sp_Who2 and it says the status is runnable. I let it run for around 5 or 6 hours the other day to see if it will finish but it didn't. This SQL job is step 3 in a 6 step SQLAgent job that usually finishes in 30 to 45 minutes.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this problem. No other jobs are running at the time this job runs.

Could this SQL statement be written a better way?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Jerid

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

INSERT INTO

[DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGING2]

([CP],[CO],[MAJ],[MINR],[LOCN],[DPT],[YEAR],[PD],[WK],[TRDT],[SYSTEM],[AMOUNT],[DESCRIPTION],[GROUP],[VENDOR]

,[INVOICE],[IDAT],[PO_NUMBER],[DDAT],[RCV#],[RDAT],[RSP],[EXPLANATION],[UPLOAD_DATE],[UPLOAD_USER],[UPLOAD_NAME]

,[RELEASE_DATE],[RELEASE_USER],[RELEASE_NAME],[TRTM])

SELECT

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.CP, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.CO, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.MAJ, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.MINR, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.LOCN, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.DPT,

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.YEAR, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.PD, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.WK, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.TRDT, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.SYSTEM, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.AMOUNT,

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.DESCRIPTION, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.[GROUP], t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.VENDOR, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.INVOICE, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.IDAT,

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.PO_NUMBER, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.DDAT, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.RCV#, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.RDAT, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.RSP,

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.EXPLANATION, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.UPLOAD_DATE, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.UPLOAD_USER, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.UPLOAD_NAME,

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.RELEASE_DATE, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.RELEASE_USER, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.RELEASE_NAME, t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.TRTM

FROM

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING

LEFT OUTER JOIN

t_DTM_DATA AS t_DTM_DATA_1

ON

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.TRTM = t_DTM_DATA_1.TRTM

AND

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.TRDT = t_DTM_DATA_1.TRDT

AND

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.PD = t_DTM_DATA_1.PD

AND

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.YEAR = t_DTM_DATA_1.YEAR

AND

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.DPT = t_DTM_DATA_1.DPT

AND

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.LOCN = t_DTM_DATA_1.LOCN

AND

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.MINR = t_DTM_DATA_1.MINR

AND

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.MAJ = t_DTM_DATA_1.MAJ

AND

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.CO = t_DTM_DATA_1.CO

AND

t_DTM_DATA_STAGING.CP = t_DTM_DATA_1.CP

WHERE

(t_DTM_DATA_1.CP IS NULL)

• I would suggest you start off by looking at the execution plan of the select statement to ensure that it's not doing a table scan or some other horribly inefficient execution path.

John

• I ran the Display Est. Execution plan, not sure how I can post it as it's a graphical image.

It is doing a Table scan on t_DTM_DATA_STAGING. I don't have any indexes setup on this table, if I create a new field and set it as the index will that make a difference?

• I figured out how to get the plan in text format.

|--Table Insert(OBJECT[DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGING2]), SET[DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGING2].[CP] = [DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGING].[CP],[DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGING2].[CO] = [DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGING].[CO],[DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGING

|--Top(ROWCOUNT est 0)

|--Filter(WHERE[DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA].[CP] as [t_DTM_DATA_1].[CP] IS NULL))

|--Nested Loops(Left Outer Join, OUTER REFERENCES[DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGING].[CP], [DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGING].[CO], [DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGING].[MAJ], [DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGING].[MINR], [DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGI

|--Table Scan(OBJECT[DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGING]))

|--Clustered Index Seek(OBJECT[DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA].[Unique] AS [t_DTM_DATA_1]), SEEK[t_DTM_DATA_1].[CP]=[DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGING].[CP] AND [t_DTM_DATA_1].[CO]=[DTM].[dbo].[t_DTM_DATA_STAGING].[CO] AND [t_DTM_DATA_1].[MA

• You don't necessarily have to make a new field to make an index. Put the select statement into a .sql file then run it through Database Engine Tuning Advisor. It will give you better tips than I can on what indexes to create. Hopefully that will speed up your execution times.

John

• Thanks for your help, that's what I did. I'm going to make the recommended changes and see what happens.

• I added a clustered index to the tables and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply