SQLAgent mail not working

• Hi all.

Trying to set up e-mail notifications. In SQL Server Agent properties under mail session I get the following error when trying to test the account:

ERROR 18030:xp_test_mapi_profile either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run microsoft outlook and set it as the default mail client.

This is a Win 2003 server with SQL 2000 SP3. Outlook is not installed. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Al

• Yes, but I can not be very precise with my explanation and I'm not sure if it is correct: SQLServer needs the MAPI library installed and configured in order to send emails because it does not use SMTP protocol. If you install Outlook, you will get:

1) You will be sure that MAPI is installed.

2) You will be able to set up a default mail client easily.

In my case, I had Exchange and SQLServer 2000 installed on the same server. Exchange and Outlook can no be installed on the same computer and furthermore, I have never seen how SQLServer 2000 sends emails.

• If you want to use SQL Mail as is then you'll need to install Outlook, or another MAPI email client. You can also setup SQL Mail using POP/SMTP email client, but I've always found that to be more troublesome.

I'd suggest that you save yourself some hassle and take a look at xp_smtp_sendmail over at http://www.sqldev.net

Also, there are quite a few SQL Mail replacements floating around that are based on using the sp_OA* procedures and CDO.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• We do not want to install Outlook because of security concerns. From what I read, this issue was supposed to have been resolved with previous service packs, though we are running SP3 and are still experiencing the problem. Any other ideas?

• You won't be able to use the SQL Agent Mail functionality to send out notifications unless you install a MAPI client.

As mentioned save yourself some hassle and take a look at xp_smtp_sendmail over at http://www.sqldev.net

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• I got around this by instantiating SQL Server on my desktop (which does have Outlook) then linking servers. Then you have to root around in the jobs tables to get the error codes and email addresses to send notices to. Lots of whacky stored procedure programming ensues! I suggest you use a log table to track specific errors and whether you have sent email on them already or not.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply