SQL7\NT Auth and Agent Jobs

• Has anyone run into an issue in SQL7 where the UserID used to control the Server and Agent Services is a SQL generic, trusted, domain account (i.e. DOMAIN\SQLAdmin) and having SysAdmin specific jobs (i.e. sp_cycle_errorlogs) fail stating that that generic, trusted user does not have SysAdmin Perms? I have double checked to make sure that the UserID is part of the SysAdmin's group, yet it continues to fail. Any ideas?

• Haven't seen this.

Have had some issues with BMC Patrol and it reporting sysadmin problems when the account is a system admin. No resolution as of yet.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• Make sure that the user is member of the local administrators group and in the job properties select sa for the owner.

Stanislav Petkov

• Make sure that the user is member of the local administrators group and in the job properties select sa for the owner.

Stanislav Petkov

• I've double checked the LocalAdmin Group List and the User is there. And the job does have sa listed as the owner.

[/quote]

• Is the account member of the System Administrators role on the server ?

If you have excluded the BUILTIN\Administrators from this role, then make sure the account is member of this role.

Stanislav Petkov

• It looks like the sp_cycle_errorlog can only be executed by the SA user - if you open the SP - there is a call to suser_id() and it should be 1 (the SA).

You can shange the SP (which is not recomended), or just make your own by calling the dbcc comand (this is the only thing thuis SP does).

Stanislav Petkov

• I found out that this is a known documented problem with SQL7. There is a work around... you have to use 'DBCC ERRORLOG' instead of 'EXEC sp_cycle_errorlog'. MS has got a Q article out there on this, it is... Q241636.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply