SQL7 Rebuildm.exe Failure

• I'm trying to restore our SQL 7 master database using the Rebuildm.exe app. It always fails.

Here are my steps: Stop SQL Server, copy the CD "DATA" files (i.e., master, msdb, etc) to a directory, remove the READ ONLY attribute from these files, and start Rebuildm.exe pointing it to the "non" read-only DATA files. My efforts give the following error in d:\MSSQL7\Install\Cnfgsvr.out:

Starting Service ...

Connecting to Server ...

driver={sql server};server=.;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]Specified SQL server not found.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).

driver={sql server};server=.;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

driver={sql server};server=SQL2KDEV;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

SQL Server configuration failed.

I checked the Client and Server network utilties. I think that Named Pipes support is enabled but maybe I'm wrong. Any thoughts?

Bill Salkin

• I'm sure you will have solved this by now Bill, or upgraded to SQL2000, but I thought it would be useful to reply to your question in case somebody else finds the information useful.

I have experienced this same error with every rebuildm.exe I have attempted in SQL2000.  The workaround is given by microsoft in the following article :

http://www.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273572

Hope it is of some use to you or anyone else experiencing this problem

/John

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply