SQL2K5 backup table by table of a database

• Is there a way to backup every tables in a database? My users usually delete data from one or two tables at a time. In order to restore tables, I have to restore entire database before I can restore those tables. It takes hours to restore a db. Thank you.

• Is there any reason why you cannot deny these users delete rights? it would save you a lot of hassle.

• Backing up every table in a database is equivalent to a full database backup.

If you are looking to backup only a few tables and not the whole database you either need to separate those tables into a unique filegroup and then backup just that filegroup, or you need to use something like BCP to dump the contents of a table into a CSV file.

Does this help?

If I can flarify please let me know.

• SQL Server does not provide a way to backup or restore individual tables unless each table is placed in a separate filegroup. Some third-party backup software, such as litespeed from Quest, feature object-level recovery. You could check those out.

Greg

• use Microsoft SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard, using this tool you can take backup object wise.

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=56e5b1c5-bf17-42e0-a410-371a838e570a&DisplayLang=en

• Thanks for all responses. Can't limit users from changes and deletions, because that is part of their jobs.

• You should be able to limit users from deleting entire tables. If you are restoring them, likely it's not part of their job.

You can download Log Rescue from Red Gate, which is free, and can read the log to pull back things.

• Thanks, Steve, for response and info regarding Log Rescue from RedGate. I'll check it out.

Xuanhai

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply