SQL2K Sp_Helpdb + Perfmon issues

• Having issues with SQL 2000 Enterprise Edition SP3a applied

1. Sp_Helpdb throws the following error:

Server: Msg 515, Level 16, State 2, Procedure sp_helpdb, Line 53

cannot insert the value NULL into column '', table ''; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.The statement has been terminated.

2. All Sql Server Perf Counters show (reloaded), but no performance indicators show data related to SQL Server when the perfmon runs.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jim Babington

jbabington@hotmail.com

Jbabington
    Jbabington@hotmail.com

• How long since this errors?

Did you made any changes to the server? Service Packs, upgrades, etc?

• I just started managing this server (and several others) and the Service Pack 3a Update was over the weekend... No errors during the service pack installation, All services restarted, I unloaded the perfcounters for SQL and Reloaded them (yet again cycled the server)... But this issue(s) occured previously under sp2 also. I would make the assumption that for atleast the last few months this has been an ongoing problem (I have had management posession for only 2 weeks).. This is Dedicated SQL Server (no IIS, apps or etc.)

Jim Babington

Jbabington@hotmail.com

Jbabington
    Jbabington@hotmail.com

• Get the correct sp_helpdb script from somewhere else, and recomile it under master db.

It could be, someone played with this script.

OR.. take the existing script and debug it,  line by line.

• Check your database has a valid login for its owner. I have just had a similar message and noticed the owner is blank when viewing via taskpad in Enterprise manager.

• You can execute sp_changedbowner 

e.g. db_name..sp_changedbowner 'sa'

• We just experienced the same problem.

The possibility of that the following occured:  We created databases while the SQL Server was in DOMAINA.  We then moved the SQL Server to DOMAINB.  We created new databases.  If we ran sp_helpdb against those new databases, it worked fine.  Against the old ones it did not work.  We changed the owner (as noted previously) and all is well.  Just a hypothesis about the domain change, but I think that is what caused our issues.

Thanks to all for the post.

• Hi all,

Now, I am getting this similar error message on 'sp_helpdb'

Cannot insert the value NULL into column '', table ''; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.The statement has been terminated.

I checked the ownership of the databases all are with 'sa' and there was not change as said in above message as 'domain'

Sivaprasad S - [ SIVA ][/url]http://sivasql.blogspot.com/[/url]

• This problem occured in my case because of that Windows domain account which was owner of the database being removed.

Sivaprasad S - [ SIVA ][/url]http://sivasql.blogspot.com/[/url]

• FYI, I had the same problem too  - the dbowner was NULL causing the following statement ;

Cannot insert the value NULL into column '', table ''; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

The statement has been terminated.

We too have had domain changes magically happening around us! A quick sp_changedbowner 'sa' sorts this out.

• I am encountering with the same problem when running the stored procedue sp_helpdb.I have changed the db owner to 'sa', but this did not help.I still get the same error.

Cannot insert the value NULL into column '', table ''; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

• sp_changedbowner 'sa' fixed the issue for me. 😀

Aaron

Aaron
    MCITP: Database Administrator, MCITP: Server Administrator, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory – Configuration, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure – Configuration, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Application Platform – Configuration, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 – Configuration, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, MCDBA, Security+, CCNA
    https://www.mcpvirtualbusinesscard.com/VBCServer/AaronChristenson/interactivecard

• I'd got this error on many servers within my domain. I been able to fix the problem on a few servers with sp_changedbowner 'sa', but I still having the problem on couple of servers

. Msg 515, Level 16, State 2, Procedure sp_helpdb, Line 53

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'owner', table 'tempdb.dbo.#spdbdesc___________________________________________________________________________________________________________000100129B92'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply