SQL2012 RC0 Database attach issues..

• I am currently getting an error while attaching an existing DB to the SQL2012 RC0, with Access denied issues.

"CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 5(Access is denied.) "

The same DB files get attached fine to a SQL2008R2 SSMS; I rechecked the permissions on the mdf files and have full Control access to the files.

Am i missing something here? Anything i need to check in particular? Compatibility level of the DB to be attached is 100.

All DB files are on my C: local drive.

• Run management studio as administrator (as in right-click icon -> Run as Administrator)?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes I did that as well; This was the first step i did in troubleshooting. The SSMS has Administrator in brackets at the top of my window.

Also i noticed while doing restore of the DB, the DB went in restoring mode and hasn't come out of it yet even though the task was complete 100%. I am puzzled is it just buggy or is it me?

• Well this is the first case I've heard of this problem restoring on 2012, so if it's a bug it's a rather specific one...

You did do the restore WITH RECOVERY, or at least not WITH NORECOVERY (can't remember where the GUI puts that)?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Never Mind about the second problem.. I mistakenly clicked the Restore with NO RECOVERY option. Its a drop down now (No radio buttons) and i was kindoff browsing the GUI.

But still, I am unable to find a solution for the Access denied mdf files.

• Login as 'sa' not just a SysAdmin but actually 'sa'.. Ran across this before.. Not sure exactly why..

CEWII

• Also check the ACLs on the files themselves, and the ownership.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply