SQL2008 R2 SP1 patch

• I intend to apply SP1 to a SQL2008R2 RTM active\passive geocluster.

Due to current issues with the disks with automated failover the passive node is paused to allow manual intervention.

Anyone patched a paused passive node, cannot see a problem and seems to me its similar to removing it from possible owners so should be fine, but would appreciate it if someone could confirm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• the recommended process to patch a 2k8 cluster with minimal downtime is to remove the secondary node as a possible owner, patch it, re-add it as an owner, failover to it, and then apply the patch to the now passive node.

there is a kb that walks you through the process.

• george sibbald (4/18/2012)

I intend to apply SP1 to a SQL2008R2 RTM active\passive geocluster.

Due to current issues with the disks with automated failover the passive node is paused to allow manual intervention.

Anyone patched a paused passive node, cannot see a problem and seems to me its similar to removing it from possible owners so should be fine, but would appreciate it if someone could confirm.

You'll be fine. Its how I update all of my clusters

SpringTownDBA (4/18/2012)

the recommended process to patch a 2k8 cluster with minimal downtime is to remove the secondary node as a possible owner, patch it, re-add it as an owner, failover to it, and then apply the patch to the now passive node.

there is a kb that walks you through the process.

Pausing the node achieves the same and is much simpler

• good stuff, always good to have verification. cheers

• mysteryjimbo,

unfortunately having the passive node paused did not work for me. It caused SP1 to fail the 'is node clustered' check as it complained that either the cluster resource was down or the node could not communicate to the cluster.

I had to unpause it and remove it from the list of possible owners instead.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply