SQL2008 Active/Active coming here.

• Soon I will be installing SQL 2008 Active/Active cluster. I guess I don't understand the difference in installing Active/Passive vs Active/Active. I am starting to do some research on info. Any links or advice would be helpful.

• Markus, I presently look after a SQL Server 2005 Active/Active Cluster using MSCS.

Some of the things you will require are as follows:

2 Virtual SQL Server Names and different Instance Names. Separate Virtual IP's for each install.

Separate Resource Groups for each SQL Install i.e one for Live and one for reporting

Also makesure that when you are configuring your memory settings you have enough available should one instance fail and you end up with all resources on the one server

Have a look at this link for more info http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1541

• Henry covered the one thing I was going to point out, don't over-commit the resources, each node needs to have enough resources in reserve to cover all instances on a single node in the event of a failover.

CEWII

• Thanks to both of you. I am starting to see that a cluster in 2008 is more involved than in SQL 2000 version.

• Clustering is supposed to be easier now in SQL 2008. If you have done clustering before, you should be ok. Another thing to be aware of the differences between active active and active passive, regarding patching and installing service packs, Be also aware that some SQL components such as Integration services are not cluster aware, so they will need to be patched on both nodes of the cluster. You might have issues with remote activation for integration services depending on how the cluster install is done.

I would read up and be ready. Most issues are described on the microsoft site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• here is a good step by step for clustering windows 2008 / sql server 2008, i found this few days ago. Great information.

http://itprosecure.com/blogs/windows_2008_admnistration/archive/2009/08/03/windows-2008-failover-clustering-configuring-sql-2008-for-failover-clustering-part-1-of-3.aspx

• ---Markus,

There really is no difference between cluster types they are all really the same animal. You could have 2 nodes with only one instance so in theory its active/passive as 1 node hosts nothing. But you could add another instance and put it on the other node and then in theory be active/active or you could take that 2nd instance and leave on the same node as the first and still be in an active/passive state.

Basically you build your windows Cluster.

Then you install your SQL instance on 1 of the nodes and then you install the same instance onto the other node so the resources exist on both nodes. Then you can fail it back and forth.

If you have more specific questions please ask..

db

• Have a look at webinar caled "Set up a Cost Effective Windows Server 2008 Cluster, with a SQL Server 2008 in a clustered environment". You can find it here: http://www.starwindsoftware.com/denny-cherry-sql-server

Hope this will help you.

• Thanks to all that replied. In a turn of events the powers at be have changed their minds and are making me go with a Win2003/SQL 2005 SP3 cluster instead. Not enough stuff is certified for SQL2008 yet to justify it. I tried to explain that moving our in house stuff that we control to SQL 2008 made more sense and other things will certify SQL 2008 soon but they trumped me and said SQL 2005. Very disappointing.. so now I have to learn SQL 2005 Active/Active instead.

• Guys I also have a SQL 2005 Enter Edi 64 bit Active/Active cluster and now I need to install SQL Server 2008 instance also on the same cluster. Has anyone done this before and can you guys tell me what all things I need to take care of. I don't have a testing setup where I can try all the options so I would like to make sure my steps are right and correct before I start the installation.

• That could be tricky to do without a place to test it out. At minimum you will need a seperate drive for the new SQL2008. You will need .NET 3.5 Sp1 and Win installer 4.5 as a prereq also. You might want to verify that this can even be done as I am not 100% sure you can have SQL 2005 and 2008 installed on the same cluster on Win2003.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply