SQL2005 Maintenance Plan Failure

• When creating a maintenance plan in SQL 2005 sp2 using the "Backup Database Task", if the option "Create a sub directory for each database" is not ticked, the backup procedure fails when executed.

If this option is ticked the backup runs and backs up the database.

Is this a bug

Has anyone experienced this problem?

I have read about several fixes in relation to service pack 2, at present the version of SQL2005 with service pack 2 installed is 9.00.3042.00

Any advice as to what what the next step would be much appreciated

• What's the error?

For the full error, go to the job step properties, to the advanced tab and enter a file name for the job output. Full error will be in that file.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I don't see any such problem. There may be something more you are trying to do with the plan.

I have version Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.3152.00 (Intel X86) Mar 3 2007 03:17:37 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2) with no such problem.

• Atul, your version is later (9052 vs 9042) - are you suggesting that a bug fix has been implemented?

• Microsoft has released couple of hot fixes. But as I said I have not heard or read the problem related to yours. I tried the same on my servers and it was working fine.

• i"m using the SQL server 2005 maintenance plans in place to take the backups and never actually encountered this issue. we have SQL server 2005 server SP2 service pack on the server. while creating the maintenance plans if we do not tick the Sub directories option , even then it creates the backup and executes successfully.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply