SQL2005 clustered config. considerations

• Hello all,

Given I don't have too much experience with clustered configs...

Are there any extra considerations when creating the database within a clustered environment on a 64bit standard edition install besides the install options.

thx in advance

• Not really. The SQL install process guides you through setting up a virtual SQL Server name and IP address - the name is used by your applications to connect to and exists on the active node in the cluster. On failover the application will get disconnected so will need to reconnect somehow. SQL Server looks and behaves the same as a non-clustered instance and other than following 64bit recommendations there is not much to configure.

• Thank you for your response !

So basically just create a base database on the primary node and that's it ?

• Pardon my ignorance, but If I have two nodes with 2 IP's of course, I only need t create the database on the primary node correct ?

One node named isntance abc\123

Second node def\456

Thx

• You have two nodes which have their own IP address. You then have a cluster resource sitting on top - this resource has another IP address and will run on whichever node is active at the time. SQL Server gets installed into the cluster as another IP address so you are not really installing it on a single node but rather the cluster.

• Thanks for that ... it's clear now because the setup wasn't done properly as the named instances on both nodes were named the same thing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply