SQL2000 Stored Procedure

• I am definate newbe.  Can writetofile be used from within a stored procedure?  Looking for easy way to write blob objects to jpg file.  Ideas?

• Why do you want to do that?

• Over 6000 employees stored in db, image as blob, image data only no headers.  Need to transfer images to another application that references to jpg images only.

• This is the job of an application... not the server's job.. check out .net help. It's supposed to be easy to do .

• Been there, done that.  It is easy.  Want to automate process when new employees are added to system.  Uses HR app for input, Security badge access app for approval and point of sale app in the end uses the badge access and picture for verification of sale.  Everything working fine but want un-attended transfer of info.

• What do you need to do exactly to transer the info (from where to where)?

• Currently a file is created every night at 0400 from HR, saved on ftp site with new hires and individuals on leave or fired/retired.  I pick up that file from the server, process the access control db with that info to invalidate their badge access as necessary and pre-load emp data for new badge creation.  Along comes new process, point of sale.  They will require valid badge data for new hires with image and data to invalidate thier badge point of sale, all saved back to ftp site.  Nothing really hard about it, just want to take the human, keyboarding element, out of it.

• Seems to me like you're already able to do all the stuff programatically at some point in the program. What forbids you to send the jpegs over ftp, or as binary and recreating 'em on the other server with the same code you're already using?

• Doing all but images now with no problem.   Images are done manually, one by one.  I think I will just go back to a vb app to handle the images, just had a barn storm that I could do everything from within SQL2000.

• Well you'd use some dll in sql server to do that... which would be written in vb. So I think the simplest way would be to handle that all in the app...

• Just got email from HR.  They decided just that.  Want me to set up app to be ran from their side to do whole process.  Will comply with just a few twists of my own using .Net .   That shoots another couple of brain cells on worthless thoughts! 

• Not worthless... this is what we call experience .

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply