SQL View as XML then create output file

• Hi All,

The Goal

I need to create an XML document from a SELECT and store that in a folder on the network.

I have a basic select statement, works fine.

I Then add at the bottom - "FOR XML PATH(''), ROOT('SALES')" - which again works fine when I execute.

If I create a view ( without the XML statement ) - that works fine and creates a view.

If I add the "FOR XML PATH(''), ROOT('SALES')" at the end and execute the "ALTER VIEW", I get the following message.

Msg 4511, Level 16, State 1, Procedure View_SLG_FinanceForecast_ActualSales_XML, Line 5

Create View or Function failed because no column name was specified for column 1.

Should I create the view as XML format - or should I use a stored procedure to drop the output out as XML via BCP ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Regards
    Steve
    SQL 2008 DBA/DBD - MCTS/MCITP

Please don't trust me, test the solutions I give you before using them.

• You need to give an alias to the whole XML document you're selecting:

SELECT 'A'

FOR XML PATH('')

outputs this:

XML_F52E2B61-18A1-11d1-B105-00805F49916B

-----------------------------------------

A

(1 row(s) affected)

With an alias you get this:

SELECT theDoc = (

SELECT 'A'

FOR XML PATH('')

)

outputs this:

theDoc

-------------------

A

(1 row(s) affected)

-- Gianluca Sartori

• SteveEClarke (3/30/2015)

Hi All,

Should I create the view as XML format - or should I use a stored procedure to drop the output out as XML via BCP ?

The latter seems much more sensible to me. You can use a stored procedure or query directly from the application using FOR XML.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Thanks for the help.

The views now work a treat -

What would be the best solution for generating an XML file in a specific folder, calling a stored procedure to run every hour ?

Thanks

________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Regards
    Steve

• It really depends what you're after. If you want files in a folder every x minutes, you can use a powershell job.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• That will be what I am after - I think I have that bit all sorted now.

Just one more question -

With Regard to the XML format, Is it possible to have Child Nodes as well as the root node ?

So ;

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<SalesData>

<Customer>NOV001 </Customer>

<Branch>ME</Branch>

<Year>2014</Year>

<Month>1</Month>

<NetSalesValue>2419.20</NetSalesValue>

<Customer>BOO001 </Customer>

<Branch>RH</Branch>

<Year>2014</Year>

<Month>1</Month>

</SalesData>

Would look like this;

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<SalesData>

<SalesDataItem>

<Customer>NOV001 </Customer>

<Branch>ME</Branch>

<Year>2014</Year>

<Month>1</Month>

</SalesDataItem >

<SalesDataItem>

<Customer>BOO001 </Customer>

<Branch>RH</Branch>

<Year>2014</Year>

<Month>1</Month>

<SalesDataItem>

</SalesData>

Regards
    Steve

• Sorry - have answered this one now.

I am struggling getting the output to work within "BCP" - keeps asking for a format file !?

Regards
    Steve

• Sorry for the late reply. Which command line parameters are you using for BCP?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• I think I am getting there - having figured out the bcp command line now.

So I have created an xml format file and specified that when creating the data file. Once created - I try to load this within and XML Editor and it states that the first line is incorrect;

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A semi colon character was expected. Error processing resource 'file://XMLExport/StockCodes.xml'.

Regards
    Steve

• Apologies -

Command line;

Create format file;

bcp [SysproCompanyS].[dbo].[View_SLG_FinanceForecast_StockCodes] format nul -n -f C:\XMLExport\StockCodeFormat.xml -x -T

Create data file;

bcp [SysproCompanyS].[dbo].[View_SLG_FinanceForecast_StockCodes] out c:\xmlexport\StockCodes.xml -f C:\XMLExport\StockCodeFormat.xml -T

Regards
    Steve

• SteveEClarke (3/31/2015)

Apologies -

Command line;

Create format file;

bcp [SysproCompanyS].[dbo].[View_SLG_FinanceForecast_StockCodes] format nul -n -f C:\XMLExport\StockCodeFormat.xml -x -T

Create data file;

bcp [SysproCompanyS].[dbo].[View_SLG_FinanceForecast_StockCodes] out c:\xmlexport\StockCodes.xml -f C:\XMLExport\StockCodeFormat.xml -T -c

Try with character type format:

bcp [SysproCompanyS].[dbo].[View_SLG_FinanceForecast_StockCodes] out c:\xmlexport\StockCodes.xml -f C:\XMLExport\StockCodeFormat.xml -T -c

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply