SQL Version, Licensing?!?

• Hi Everyone,

I am a SQL Server newbie and was wondering if anyone could help me with choosing the correct SQL Version and licensing options.

- Looking to purchase SQL for a small ~ medium size company environment (max 100 people in the company)

- Mainly to replace existing access database (40 of them 50MB each) and to integrate data from different systems (Simple & common systems) and design simple data warehouse to bring all the data in one spot and use with Other BI Tool to produce reports

- Just purchased medium size server (8 Core, 12 GB Memory)

Question

1. Which version of SQL Server will suit the environment mentioned above? (SQL Server 2005 standard?)

2. What will be the best licensing option?

3. How do I get the license? Does it take ages?

4. I am assuming either DBA or DWA need to be involved in installing, configuring the SQL Server and designing the simple data warehouse. Roughly how much DBA effort will be required for this sort of task? I absolutely have no IDEA.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

James

• I would start with this matrix of SQL Server 2008 features:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx

(1) SQL Standard edition if you want the BI and SSIS tools.

(2) With the small number of users I would say CAL licenses, much cheaper than core licenses

(3) Google for software resellers, there are a ton out there and price is not going to fluctuate much between them. How long does it take depends on how fast the shipping is for the media.

(4) YES...I would suggest hiring a consultant to help out and get it started. The vendor that sales you the software may be able to point you to a local consultant (or sale you one of them too;-))

If you have no idea, you need to find someone that does. Either hire a consultant or a DBA.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• MeltonDBA (5/6/2010)

I would start with this matrix of SQL Server 2008 features:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645993.aspx

(1) SQL Standard edition if you want the BI and SSIS tools.

(2) With the small number of users I would say CAL licenses, much cheaper than core licenses

(3) Google for software resellers, there are a ton out there and price is not going to fluctuate much between them. How long does it take depends on how fast the shipping is for the media.

(4) YES...I would suggest hiring a consultant to help out and get it started. The vendor that sales you the software may be able to point you to a local consultant (or sale you one of them too;-))

If you have no idea, you need to find someone that does. Either hire a consultant or a DBA.

(2) This also depends on how many physical CPU's you have in the server, not how many cores, plus the number of users that may access the data on the server. You indicated 8 cores, but is the a dual quad core or a quad dual core? If you went per processor for the first, it would be 2 licenses where as the latter would be four licenses.

If the data will be available via an external web site, you need per processor. If it is all internal, then go Server + CAL based on the number of users you have indicated.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply