SQL Upgrade 2000 to 2008

• Hi Guys

Has anyone done a database upgrade from 2000 to 2008. Im planning to upgrade to 2005 but I was wondering if their many be an issue upgrading to 2008. I like the new intellisense features on 2008. What are the main difference between 2005 & 2008?

What do you guys recommend?

• whether upgrading to SQL server 2005 or 2008, immediately after run DBCC UPDATEUSAGE and rebuild all indexes. Also run DBCC CHECKDB with DATA_PURITY to ensure your database(s) have no metadata or performance issues

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks for the Advice. What do you recommend to Upgrade from 2000 to 2005 then 2008 or should I upgrade from2000 to 2008?

• Perry Whittle (3/28/2010)

whether upgrading to SQL server 2005 or 2008, immediately after run DBCC UPDATEUSAGE and rebuild all indexes. Also run DBCC CHECKDB with DATA_PURITY to ensure your database(s) have no metadata or performance issues

And don't forget to update statistics also.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Youngoz

upgrade straight to 2008, just bear in mind what i previously pointed out and as Jeffrey said update your stats too. The full rebuild should catch most of those anyway, so when you update stats it will ignore any already up to date.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Preparing the process of moving to sql server 2008 from 2005 focusing focusing on consolidating all of the SQL servers that are out there on a core machine and have the different databases running on it.

To avoid paying for extra licenses.

• Is there a question involved?

Chris Powell

George: You're kidding.
    Elroy: Nope.
    George: Then lie to me and say you're kidding.

• I am more concerned with DTS Packages from SQL 2000, Is it possible to let all of them run on Legacy Mode or it is advisable to upgrade them to SSIS? What if it takes time to re-do some of the Packages into SSIS? advise me.

• Hi

I recommend straight upgrade from 2000 to 2008, since Denali, SQL Server 2011 knocking on the door, to be released next year.

I think you got carried away with Intellisense.

There are other features new to SQL Server 2008.

Also read,

http://www.sql-programmers.com/Blog/tabid/153/EntryId/26/T-Sql-Programmability-Features-in-Sql-server-2008-Part-1.aspx

• INNOCENT GUMBO (12/7/2010)

I am more concerned with DTS Packages from SQL 2000, Is it possible to let all of them run on Legacy Mode or it is advisable to upgrade them to SSIS? What if it takes time to re-do some of the Packages into SSIS? advise me.

If any packages use dts only components then they will need re writing. Upgrade advisor should pinpoint any packages which may cause an issue

• Thanks Perry;

My Upgrade needs to be completed as fast as possible. So you advise I should leave them in Legacy mode then eventually after a successful Upgrade we can Re-write them if we so wish?

I am sure this should work for us. Isn't it?

Thanks a lot

• If any packages are using dts only components they will need re writing immediately and won't run in legacy mode.

• Perry;

Ok. Thanks for the information. I will do as such (Rewrite Packages).

Thanks a million

• 2008 (R2) Intellisense has more time savers than time wasters (overall it saves time), but A) it requires a change in how you write things, and B) it completely screws up certain things (cursors, some complex SQL constructs).

2008 (R2)'s best features for me (many are Enterprise only): Date data type, compressed backups, compressed indexes(!), MERGE operator, filtered indexes.

2005+'s best feature: 64-bit version!

Caveat: while, reported DTS runs in Legacy mode on 32-bit 2008 and 2005, this is _not_ supported on the 64-bit versions.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply