SQL Trace File

• Hi,

Plz help in below scenario.

I have an Azure VM(WS 2012 R2) with SQL server 2014.And I have created an application "App1" that accessing data from that SQL server.I want to create trace File on local machine where my application "App1" running.

is It possible.If yes How?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.......
    -----------------------------------
    My Blog[/url] | Articles

• The trace is going to run on the server, not on your local machine. The output can be from the server to your local machine if you've set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) between your local network and the Azure network. Otherwise, you can't really do that.

But, I wouldn't recommend this approach anyway. First, since you're on 2012, you have every reason to use extended events[/url] instead of trace. They're more light weight, more flexible, provide better filtering, and cover a wider range of possible monitoring than trace. Next, moving data down to your local machine could prove costly. You pay for that within Azure. I'd suggest moving it to azure blob storage which you can set up as a shared drive on your Azure VM. That's going to be a lot cheaper. Then, you also query and mess with the data from within Azure, again, saving money. The link I provided shows how to set up extended events.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• +1 for what Grant said.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply