SQL to Oracle & ViceVersa

• I would like to know your opinion about converting from SQL DBA to Oracle DBA & vice versa!

Do you have such experience!? - if yes, tell us some tips from your converting experience!?

:w00t:

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• Been there, done that - several times, both directions.

Data is usually a walk in the park.

Fun begins with the code - the sensible thing to do is to rewrite it from scratch.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • There's a document here that shows how the two databases compare from a DBA point of view:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/9/d/69d1fea7-5b42-437a-b3ba-a4ad13e34ef6/SQLServer2008forOracle.docx

It's not so bad working with both once you work out how to do an equivalent task in each.

• DNA_DBA (11/1/2010)

There's a document here that shows how the two databases compare from a DBA point of view:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/9/d/69d1fea7-5b42-437a-b3ba-a4ad13e34ef6/SQLServer2008forOracle.docx

It's not so bad working with both once you work out how to do an equivalent task in each.

Thank you it seems nice info inside the doc!

😉

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• DNA_DBA (11/1/2010)

There's a document here that shows how the two databases compare from a DBA point of view:

Not your fault but target document is not as good as it may appear to be at first glance, probably written by Marketing people at Microsoft with very little knowledge of the Oracle side.

An example?

Sure!

You have to torture the document to make it tell you Oracle RAC and SQL Server Federated Databases are not the same thing. Document is written in a way where if you are not fully alert you may get the idea that they are pretty similar with just a couple of differences. They are two very different things.

Bottom line? don't take the document at apparent face value.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I just want to make sure nobody misinterprets this as equally applicable to database developers. I've developed with ODP.NET and making sure to use the dependency inversion principle should allow for a relatively simple transition.

• soundlogic (11/24/2010)

I just want to make sure nobody misinterprets this as equally applicable to database developers. I've developed with ODP.NET and making sure to use the dependency inversion principle should allow for a relatively simple transition.

Nice use of a word scrambler 😀

• what do you mean by crowd ramblers?

• soundlogic (11/25/2010)

what do you mean by crowd ramblers?

It means that the usage of phrases like "dependency inversion principle " don't mean much to the common person. You need to explain such things.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• ah that's what I thought, but wasn't certain as it wouldn't be all that applicable to the conversation...but my fault for throwing it in to the conversation so to very briefly illustrate what it solves, per Wikipedia, the basic principal states:

A. High-level modules should not depend on low-level modules. Both should depend on abstractions.

B. Abstractions should not depend upon details. Details should depend upon abstractions.

Basically (and I mean very basically), if you think of this in terms of real world objects such as a usb device and usb port....you wouldn't solder a usb device directly to a usb port -- don't put all your eggs in one basket ... separate your dependencies so that you would merely be swapping a connection and not end up having to change your entire application

fortunately, considering ODP.NET requires its own methods, I created a little bit of a "LINQ to ORACLE" language via lambda expressions which meant that I really didn't have to do much more than swapping the connection.

• soundlogic (11/25/2010)

... I created a little bit of a "LINQ to ORACLE" language via lambda expressions which meant that I really didn't have to do much more than swapping the connection.

Shall we understand all code hitting the database is embedded in the application? meaning - no backend code?

• That's a good point. I did overlook that. There were several stored procedures that I had to move over.

• soundlogic (11/28/2010)

That's a good point. I did overlook that. There were several stored procedures that I had to move over.

...and probably had to substantially rewrite them, don't you?

Devil is in the details, like cursors and triggers just to mention two 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply