SQL testing

• hi all

i will soon be moving our sql instance to a dedicated SAN, and i have 1 week to test.

ill test out sql by running the applications that generally are slow and cause locks

but is there anyway to simulate lots of users connected to sql and have them doing random queries at the same time?

• Run a trace of the current server, then play that trace back. That's often the best way to test.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• i have never used profiler before, should i be able to pick it up pretty quickly?

• It's pretty straightforward. On the other hand, I've been using it for years, so my perspective may be skewed.

Try it out, and if you run into questions you can can't answer easily with BOL, bring them here and we'll see what we can do.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• cheers gsquared

• would i need to take a backup up at the end of day, and then start profiler 1st thing the next day?

and then apply the backup to the test server

eg would profiler have issues if the data has changed, deleted etc since it was run?

• Profiler itself wouldn't be bothered by it but the queries that you run may. I know with the application I support there is a good chance that will cause many queries to error out so I would make sure I have a backup from when the trace started.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply