SQL Standard Confusion

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Standard Confusion

• Maybe we need to consider WHY the languages were confused at the Tower of Babel.  Seems to me that the people were becoming egotistical in thinking they could build a tower to reach Heaven and become equal with God.  Was this the ultimate 'smack down'?

Over the years I used multiple db systems and learned multiple dml systems, and I realize now that I never considered it a problem as long as I could have reliable access to the data.  It was always a case of doing what was necessary to get the job done.  Granted some were better than others, and I did gravitate to the Microsoft vesion as  being my preference.

Obviously the tools being used would have drastically affected my choice of  a new position during my career, as I suspect most of you would concede.  I guess it comes down to how willing we are to adapt to different situations.

I think my greater dissatisfaction is when software vendors make huge efforts to hide and/or limit the access to my data.  you've all heard my bitching about this before...  One of my software vendors has done this for decades, but I have remained faithful because overall they have the best tool available.  On the other hand, I have not subscribed and/or upgraded for eight years because I don't like the directions they have taken.  Fortunately at my age and situation, this is a viable option.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  skeleton567.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Adding other lacks of standards such as GQL etc. makes this discussion even more "interesting" (in an utterly English meaning of the word)

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Adding other lacks of standards such as GQL etc. makes this discussion even more "interesting" (in an utterly English meaning of the word) 😎

Eirikur, great point.  As with all data presentation, one always needs to consider the motivation of the 'presenter' in the choice of the factors and aspects to be considered.  We only have to watch the various versions of the news from different sources to see this illustrated.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• It's true that Microsoft's T-SQL and Oracle's PL-SQL are very different, but those are procedural languages extensions that wrap around the SQL language which is fairly consistent.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply