SQL Single Node Cluster - Name Change

• SQLSACT (6/12/2012)

A question regarding this part:

You'll need to uninstall any clustered instances from server1 so that they are only available on server2. Once this is done you then evict server1 from the cluster, leaving just server2 in a single node cluster

Can I swap Server1 with Server2 in the above directions - I don't see any issue with that?

Thanks

Derek

It shouldn't make any difference really. The key is, whichever server you choose must be cleaned of installed instances, evicted cleanly from the cluster and the OS destroyed and rebuilt.

Why not just move the instances and storage from the server3 cluster to the 2 node cluster, is it the server hardware you want to retain?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (6/12/2012)

SQLSACT (6/12/2012)

A question regarding this part:

You'll need to uninstall any clustered instances from server1 so that they are only available on server2. Once this is done you then evict server1 from the cluster, leaving just server2 in a single node cluster

Can I swap Server1 with Server2 in the above directions - I don't see any issue with that?

Thanks

Derek

It shouldn't make any difference really. The key is, whichever server you choose must be cleaned of installed instances, evicted cleanly from the cluster and the OS destroyed and rebuilt.

Why not just move the instances and storage from the server3 cluster to the 2 node cluster, is it the server hardware you want to retain?

Yes, Server2's hardware needs to be retained

Server2 (with it's current hardware) will join Server3 as a 2 node cluster

Thanks

• Sorry, I'm really confused about this, you said originally you wanted to retain server2 so why on earth would you request the below!

SQLSACT (6/12/2012)

Thanks

Derek

If you want to retain server2 then no!!

Unless of course you want to generate yourself a whole bunch of extra work and potential problems 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I'm really confused about this, you said originally you wanted to retain server2 so why on earth would you request the below!

SQLSACT (6/12/2012)

Thanks

Derek

If you want to retain server2 then no!!

Unless of course you want to generate yourself a whole bunch of extra work and potential problems 😉

I didn't mean physically Swap

I meant, given your directions, where you say Server1 I apply it as Server 2

Thanks

• sorry still not with you

sorry still not with you

Ok

So we have Server1 & Server2 - Together as a 2 Node Cluster

Server3 - Single Node Cluster, different storage and geographic location

Server2 needs to be evicted and sent to Server3's location.

Server2 & Server3 then needs to become a 2 Node cluster and the names should be Server1 & Server2

Keep in mind: Server3 is not serving any purpose at all right now.

Thanks

Derek

sorry still not with you

OK

This is where we are

Forget about Server3 - Doesn't exist

We have a 2 Node Cluster with servers Server1 & Server2

In a different geographic location (on the same domain) we need to build a 2 Node Cluster with the same server names

Server2's hardware needs to be part of that desired cluster - It's being shipped

Server1's hardware is being trashed

Thanks

Derek

• based on this......

SQLSACT (6/12/2012)

This is where we are

In a different geographic location (on the same domain) we need to build a 2 Node Cluster with the same server names

Server2's hardware needs to be part of that desired cluster - It's being shipped

Thanks

Derek

This is relevant....

Perry Whittle (6/12/2012)

You'll need to uninstall any clustered instances from server1 so that they are only available on server2. Once this is done you then evict server1 from the cluster, leaving just server2 in a single node cluster.

As for replacing server1 with server3 i would perform the following high level steps;

➡ Agree a maintenance window with the business.

➡ destroy the cluster on server3

➡ attach all storage that was on server3 to server2

➡ rebuild server3 NOS as server1 and join to the cluster (don't forget to attach the storage)

➡ join the new server1 to any installed instances on server2 using the "Add Node" wizard

This shouldn't take too long to accomplish

• Perry Whittle (6/13/2012)

based on this......

SQLSACT (6/12/2012)

This is where we are

Thanks

Derek

This is relevant....

Perry Whittle (6/12/2012)

You'll need to uninstall any clustered instances from server1 so that they are only available on server2. Once this is done you then evict server1 from the cluster, leaving just server2 in a single node cluster.

As for replacing server1 with server3 i would perform the following high level steps;

➡ Agree a maintenance window with the business.

➡ destroy the cluster on server3

➡ attach all storage that was on server3 to server2

➡ rebuild server3 NOS as server1 and join to the cluster (don't forget to attach the storage)

➡ join the new server1 to any installed instances on server2 using the "Add Node" wizard

This shouldn't take too long to accomplish

Thanks

Have a look below, could this work:

>> Evict Server2 (Remove Node SQL and Evict in Cluster), shut it down and ship to new location

>> Build a Clustered Server in New Location, name it Server2, Install SQL. (DTC, VDB and ClusterName will be something that isn't already being used and will be changed later)

>> When Evicted Server2 arrives in new Location, shutdown Server1, Rebuild Evicted Server2 and name it Server1 and Add it to the Cluster in the New location

>> Rename the ClusterName, VDB and DTC to the original names of the Original 2 Node Cluster

Does this seem viable?

What AD work will be involved with this?

Thanks

Derek

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply