SQL Service stops randomly

• Got a bit of an odd problem. As part of an application, there is a service on the web server which collects data from peripheral machines which is then added to the database. It runs 24x7x365 but is given to stopping randomly at any hour of the day or night. When this happens, the data is not lost; it just remains on the peripheral machines. When the service is started again, it whizzs data through to the database (on a separate server). The service is set up to run automatically so you can see when it has stopped.

The suppliers say that it is the 'network' but it stops so randomly. There is no pattern in these failures.

Has anyone got any clues?

Thanks

Madame Artois

• What kind of 'service' is it? Windows service? WCF service? A permanently running SSIS job?

• Its neither a Windows service nor MS SQL Server service and is not normal to a standard SQL Server installation (if you get what I mean).

It is labelled SQL <service name> Service (sorry to be oblique but commerically sensitive). Not being a developer I wondered about SQL Service Broker but don't know if I am barking up the wrong tree. If one of peripheral machines isn't working correctly for some reason, could it stop... waiting for a response?

Madame Artois

• Yes, it could - just could -, but it is difficult to tell with this dearth of detail.

• Its hard to see what other detail I can give.

Its not a Windows service nor a default SQL Server one so it must have been provided by the application(i.e. the suppliers); they must have written it as it doesn't exist on any other server. We know what the service does but it is part of a commercially available product and we have to honour that.

The suppliers say it is our network but I have no idea why they formed that conclusion. I was looking for places to start searching within SQL Server to verify their assumptions.

Madame Artois

• Are there any entries in the Event Log?

• All it says is that the service has stopped. Expanding the details doesn't show any further information. There are no other errors before or after the error (i.e. no warning or information messages) from this or any other services. SQL Server continues to swing along happily and there is no degradation in the application, performance etc etc.

Madame Artois

• It sounds like bad design of the service. Its purveyors may blame your network, and there indeed may be a problem; however, it is their duty to let you know what happened and eventually to attempt a restart.

Please take this problem to them, and if you need a (qualified) third party opinion, I will send you my credentials in a private mail.

• Thanks for all your help. I came to the same conclusion but needed to bounce the idea off someone else not connected in any way to either the suppliers or our organisation.

I will let you know what happens though it may take some time.

Cheers

Madame Artois

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply