Sql Server will not start

• Is anybody having issues with SQL server not starting after the application of the December MS security updates? One of our production servers was updated by accident last night and now the service will not start. It seems that the service account (domain) has lost all permission to the mssql folder even through the user is still in the correct group and the correct permission are applied to the folders. I am specifically looking at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms11-097.

• - Can you post related Windows eventlog messages ?

- can you find anything in the sqlserver errorlog file ?

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• And are you sure no changes, like password changes, were made to the service account?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I am positive nothing was changed on the service account as it used on all SQL servers as the service account. The error message is as follows

initerrlog: Could not open error log file '<error log location>' , Operating system error = 5 (Access is denied). Though the Sql Server Configuration Manager I cannot even change the service account to the local service account with the following error "The service did not start due to a logon failure. [0x8007042d]" when I try to apply the change.

• I have had this happen before when we created new locations for data or log files, deleted the default folders (no files were in them), but never changed the default location in the server properties. Once you restart SQL Server, it cannot find the folder and will not start. Create the folder again (nothing needs to be in it and nothing will be created. It just needs to see that it is there) that is missing. This may be found in the SQL Server logs.

Jared

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Joshua D Gang (12/15/2011)

I am positive nothing was changed on the service account as it used on all SQL servers as the service account. The error message is as follows

initerrlog: Could not open error log file '<error log location>' , Operating system error = 5 (Access is denied). Though the Sql Server Configuration Manager I cannot even change the service account to the local service account with the following error "The service did not start due to a logon failure. [0x8007042d]" when I try to apply the change.

Make sure this folder exists '<error log location>'

Jared

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• The folder does exist. The issue started when the lastest MS updates where pushed to the server last night. The worst part is that the third party that install and configured the SQL also placed the SQl Service Account(domain) as a local admin as well. We are going to try to restore from a snap shot.

• I know this probably has nothing to do with the issue, but I'm going to ask you to check anyway.

Verify all your hard drives have free space (and a decent amount of it), including the OS drive. That "Operating System Access" message makes me wonder if it's a Windows issue that is interfering with SQL Server operation.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• We found the issue. SQL could not delete the ERRORLOG file to create the new one on the SQL startup. We renamed the file and the SQL service started without issue. Thanks for all the help

• Glad you figured it out.

• Thank you for the feedback.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Thank you for sharing, I'll be watching out for this...

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply