SQL Server vs MySQL

• Hello,

We have a software package that we are having many connection problems with. The software cannot make a connection to the sql server consistently so the users are having to stop and start the apache service that runs this software. The vendor has recommended that the backend be MySQL and there will be no problems at all. I have no experience or knowledge of MySQL. Our standard here is Microsoft SQL server as our choice of database. Not knowing anything about MySQL, I'm looking for opinions on Mysql vs sql server.

Thank you so much,

Juanita

• Begin with posting the connection string here.

Maybe there is something unusual in there?

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

• Did the vendor sell you the product and say that it would work with SQL Server? If so, IMHO, the vendor should be working to correct their buggy software, not pushing you to another RDBMS.

As far as SQL Server vs. MySQL, I have no real experience with MySQL, but I believe the saying "You get what you pay for". If you don't have anyone you can go to for help with MySQL and you are confident with SQL Server and that the connection problem is not being caused by SQL Server then why change RDBMS's? It certainly does not seem like you can count on quality support from your vendor.

• Hello,

Well unfortunately the people that the vendor made the purchase with are no longer here. So I am having to tend with this. But since yesterday, word is the db will remain in sql server 🙂

Thank you for your feedback !

Juanita

• Does the vendor still exist? Since they are suggesting a move to MySQL I assume they do, and since they do and they sold the product as working with SQL Server they should still fix the product.

Glad you get to stay with SQL Server, although if the boss was willing to pay for MySQL training that would be cool too!;)

• Yes, vendor still exists and from what I understand, they did make mention to the people buying the product that there could be problems with sql server. sooooooooooo...... Here we are...

Thanks again !!

• One thing to take a look at would be the drivers/libraries that the application is using to access SQL Server. I remember seeing that the latest JDBC libraries had fixed a lot of issues with SQL Server.

• Thank you. I'll pass that on !!

Juanita

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply