SQL Server stops responding

• From time to time... 2min - 15min the SQL server will stop responding... In Management studio this means that all of a sudden the login box comes up and it times out.

There is nothing in the SQL log or the windows server logs... the 24 CPU's range less than 15% and the data hard drives between 30% - 55%.

What is going on??? Where should I look?

Thanks.

• You might want to check the NIC on the SQL Server and any errors reported by the network gear.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• THe Broadcom Advanced Control Suite does not seem to have a log.

It does have some running counts... by frame...

660571618 sent ok

178420228 Rec ok

5 Out of Buffer

59392752 Large Send Offload Trans Req

0 Rec with CRC Error

0 Rec with Align Error

0 Trans with Collision

• I'm not a network expert, but that doesn't show any of the problems I might have been looking for, though you might want to look at this also:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg162709(v=WS.10).aspx

Does the server appear to stop for everyone or just for your connection?

David Webb

• Are you connecting to the SQL server via ssms on your desktop, or rdp ?

Cheers

Vultar

• This effects all the SQL server jobs connecting to this server, and all users connected. So for users we have both Management Studio, and .Net Apps.

• Can you log on to the actual server the SQL Server is running on during these outages? Is it behaving normally or is it also frozen?

David Webb

• dwilliscp (7/26/2013)

This effects all the SQL server jobs connecting to this server, and all users connected. So for users we have both Management Studio, and .Net Apps.

A key here is: when this happens, can you connect locally? That is, if you have SSMS running on the server, can you connect to SQL Server from this local instance of SSMS?

If you can, and everything else is locked out, it seems like a network issue. If you cannot, it is more likely to be a problem inside SQL Server.

Have you checked the SQL Server errorlog for messages related to these incidents?

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

• I didn't try to log in from the server.. but the SQL server log did not have anything at all in it.. for the time in question. The same is true for the server log.

We have not had this problem come back yet... I say yet because I still have not found the problem. My guess is the SQL server... but either all blocking had cleared, but the time it let me back on.. or that was not the cause.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply