SQL Server - Spid 1 - 50

• Hi,

I know that the SQL Spid's 1-50 are system processes, on one of my servers I can see that the language in sys.dm_exec_sessions shows as us_english, I wondered how this was being set as on another server it is set to British.

I had thought this would come from the service accounts default language but this doesn't appear to be the case.

Can someone clarify what is happening here for me please?

Thanks,

Nic

• Server regional settings?

And no, sessions 1-50 are not system sessions, that distinction hasn't been true since pre-SQL 2005. Sessions over 50 may be system as well. Rather use the is_user_process column in sys.dm_exec_sessions to tell which are system and which are user

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Gail,

Thanks for the correction on the server sessions.

All the regional settings in the O/S say that it is in 'UK mode' which is what we want. I'm at a loss to explain it. I notice the login name is 'sa' however on both server the 'sa' is set to English so I would expect the server to behave like this but it's not, changing the default language makes no difference.

Thanks,

Nic

• Weird.

What problems is it causing?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi,

I'm actually trying to resolve a Report Builder 3 problem, in that the date formats are coming through in a US format but we want them to come back in a UK format. I can get it to do this for a single report but I'd (the users) would like it in that format by default.

I've raised this on the msdn forums as well.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/58c33152-baea-46f1-95a9-2fe93d3b9a04/default-data-format-localization?forum=sqlreportingservices#d4f8174b-be72-467f-87e1-5d687278a1a0

As part of the server installation there is no 'language' option that I can recall, am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Nic

• Hi,

I've managed to resolve the Report Builder issue, turns out the Report Server didn't have the language pack for IE installed.

Installing the issue resolved the issue with the format.

I've detailed the steps here;

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/7e75bdcf-7192-4467-a9be-c53d0ed17e42/default-data-format-localization?forum=sqlreportingservices

I still don't know why I see system spids running in the 'us_english' language though.

Regards,

Nic

• I don't know exactly where is getting us_english either from session requestor or SQL srever or OS but when I see the system code of sys.dm_exec_requests

CREATE VIEW sys.dm_exec_requests AS

SELECT

session_id, request_id, start_time, status, command,

sql_handle, statement_start_offset, statement_end_offset, plan_handle, database_id,

user_id, connection_id, blocking_session_id, wait_type, wait_time,

last_wait_type, wait_resource, open_transaction_count, open_resultset_count, transaction_id,

context_info, percent_complete, estimated_completion_time, cpu_time, total_elapsed_time,

scheduler_id, task_address, reads, writes, logical_reads, text_size,

language, date_format, date_first, quoted_identifier, arithabort,

ansi_null_dflt_on, ansi_defaults, ansi_warnings, ansi_padding, ansi_nulls,

concat_null_yields_null, transaction_isolation_level, lock_timeout, deadlock_priority, row_count,

prev_error, nest_level, granted_query_memory, executing_managed_code, group_id, query_hash, query_plan_hash

FROM OpenRowset(TABLE SYSREQUESTS)

It is clear that it is pulling this information from SYRequests (I strongly believe it is bringing from OS of the server)

[font="Tahoma"]
    --SQLFRNDZ[/url]
    [/font]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply