SQL Server SP updates

• Hello, I have a SQL server I'm managing that needs to be updated from SQL server 2012 to SQL server 2012 SP3. I inherited this box so no updates have been applied to it in regards to CUs and SPs. Is installing SP3 right off the bat a bad idea, should I install SP1/SP2 first? Thanks in advance.

• From the download site:

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 service packs are cumulative updates and upgrade all editions and service levels of SQL Server 2012 to SP3. This service pack contains up to and including SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 2 Cumulative Update 9 (CU9).

So, no, you don't need to install prior service packs as they are included.

I'm on LinkedIn

• No issues going straight to SP4.

Install the latest SP (sp4) then the latest security fix to ensure your at build 11.0.7507.

Plan your upgrade though, you have less than 9 months of extended support left for 2012.

• The Service Packs and the Cumulative Updates are, as the name says, Cumulative. They include all previous stuff. While there can be exceptions if you need a particular security patch that is not yet part of an SP or CU, generally, install the latest & you're done.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Dont forget any secondary replicas if you are using High Availability.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  MMartin1.

----------------------------------------------------

• Hello, I have a SQL server I'm managing that needs to be updated from SQL server 2012 to SQL server 2012 SP3. I inherited this box so no updates have been applied to it in regards to CUs an https://19216811.cam/d SPs. Is installing SP3 right off the bat a bad idea, should I install SP1/SP2 first? Thanks in advance.

issue got solved

• Just Sp3. No need to do the others. They are cumulative.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply