sql server slow running.. Urgently..!

• Hi

Last 3 on wads my report server transaction logs is is 90%, today when i saw, it was full,

i moved to another disk, i have enough space in transaction log,

But my report server is running very slow,

I check it locking, blocking, fragmentation, & i update statistics & performance monitor

--

Is there any else to check to check.

& suggest me to things i need to do it furthese

Please help me...

• Not sure if I fully understand, but some ideas...

I understand that you have full transaction logs. Are you performing transaction log backups?

Apart from SQL, are there any other processes running on your server?

Has there been a recent change in the application - eg more users hitting the system?

Can you spot any problem queries - using for example a lot of CPU....

• The trasanction log should not* affect the performance of the server.

Take regular t-log backups to manage you t-log and provide PIT restores.

for the performance issue you need to look at the worst performing queries via a server side trace and see what is happening behined the scenes. There may be a need for indexing or query tuning.

Start by analysing the execution plans of the worst queries, post them here if you need any help interpreting them.

• steveb. (9/3/2010)

The trasanction log should not* affect the performance of the server.

for the performance issue you need to look at the worst performing queries via a server side trace and see what is happening behined the scenes. There may be a need for indexing or query tuning.

Start by analysing the execution plans of the worst queries, post them here if you need any help interpreting them.

There are a couple of scenarios where the transaction log could affect performance. If the log is continuously extending because it wasn't pre-allocated to a proper size you could see performance problems. Additionally, if your log is on a less than optimal storage array such as RAID 5 or if it is on a device that is shared by other database files it could cause problems.

"Beliefs" get in the way of learning.

• Robert Frasca (9/3/2010)

steveb. (9/3/2010)

The trasanction log should not* affect the performance of the server.

There are a couple of scenarios where the transaction log could affect performance. If the log is continuously extending because it wasn't pre-allocated to a proper size you could see performance problems. Additionally, if your log is on a less than optimal storage array such as RAID 5 or if it is on a device that is shared by other database files it could cause problems.

Thats why i said should and not wont, there are off course circumstances where it can. But don't think that is what the OP is facing..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply