SQL Server Sharepoint database, restoring Excel objects

• I have a SQL Server 2000 database for Sharepoint. User wants a DB restore to recover a website in order to recover Excel sheets that were on the site. Excel objects all report 0k and open up blank. How does SQL Server store Excel sheets/objects and do you all know if there is a way to restore or recover them?

Thanks!

• I don't understand what you mean by how SQL Server stores Excel objects because SQL Server stores Excel data as tabular data from Excel XP and up because it uses Access queries. So if your customer's data is not in tabular format you may not find it, what I mean is SQL Server 2000 will not store macros or worksheets.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I'm trying to understand how Sharepoint stores objects in a SQL Server 2000 database, specifically objects like Excel worksheets/workbooks from the portal. Are the references to the document names ( .xls) in the database just pointers to an external directory? Or are the Excel docs actually converted to tables in the database? A user deleted some docs that were on their portal site, and now they want them restored. When I restore a copy of the database, the Excel docs (as the developer recovered them) are only 0k and open up as blank docs. I've seen tools that help recover documents from Sharepoint/SQL Server databases, but we don't have the luxury of having one of those, so we're exploring other options, like - can we pull the excel docs out of the database on the SQL Server side.

Why would the docs be 0k? Is it because they're stored in an external directory rather than as tables in the database?

• A skilled person can convert Excel workbook into rows that insert into SQL Server so you need to run SELECT * from any table with Excel and click show results in a grid in Query Analyzer if you did not see any data then you have a problem. Check below for code used to add Excel into SQL Server.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321686

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• You can effectively restore corrupt, damaged sharepoint database, by using SharePoint Server Recovery tool. The software is also supported by all version of MS SharePoint Server 2013/2010/2007 and compatible with MS SQL Server 2012,2008 r2, 2008, 2005,2000. To know more information, visit here:- http://www.recoverfilesdata.com/sharepoint-server-data-recovery.html

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply