SQL Server Service Stopping on its own

• Hi,

Does anybody know why the SQL Server Service whould just stop on its own.  This is happening at one of my clients on what seems to be a random interval.  Most of the time the service will run for day or weeks without problems, but then sometimes it will run for as little as 30 minutes and then  just stop.

Please help.

• We had a similar issue here win2k sp4 and sql2000 sp3.

It turned out to be a problem with Macafee and some of the anti virus.

don't know if that will help but it is input.

tal mcmahon

• Aer there amy messages in the SQL Server errorlog ? Have you checked the System, Security and Application event logs ?

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• rudy,

there was nothing until we put a trace program on the server. we had the problem on the test env not the production...then found out the security folks had problems installing something and never put it on the production box....

all i remember is it was macafee and it was anti virus

• We also experienced what appeared to be random stopping of the SQLServer service on one of our servers. I don't know if this is your problem, but it's easy to check. Pull up the properties in the Services control panel (Administrative Tools) for MSSQLSERVICE or SQLSERVERAGENT (or appropriately named services, if you have Named instances).

On ours, the Local System account on the Log On tab was set to “Allow service to interact with desktop.” An empty desktop window was coming up on the server and apparently the service would get stopped if anyone closed the window. I'm guessing the Operations staff would have done so.

I unchecked the box for “Allow service to interact with desktop” and have since specified a Log On account and password as opposed to using the Local System account. We haven’t experienced the service interruptions since.

• hi again,

I talked to one of the security guys. It was Macafee Intrusion detection that was causing problems.

anyway thats all I know

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply