SQL Server Resumable Index Operations

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Resumable Index Operations

• Can you add the resumable part to a current index? Or do you have to add this once you create the index from the beginning?

• recreate the index with resumable option ON .

• How often are you reindexing where this feature provides a benefit?  We re-index so infrequently. I can't see this providing much of a benefit.

Good article though!

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Thanks

How large is database and how frequent data is updated/deleted in tables ?

for larger index indexing takes time and this is useful feature in that case

• Almighty wrote:

Thanks

How large is database and how frequent data is updated/deleted in tables ?

for larger index indexing takes time and this is useful feature in that case

Well, like I said, we do not reindex very often regardless of the size of the table/index.  There is one table that's part of a highly transactional system that needs to be reindexed regularly or else the clustered index grows significantly,  But, without looking in my log tables, it's been months were any other reindexing occurred.

Michael L John

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• One thing we've observed.  Using the RESUMABLE option makes the index significantly longer to create/rebuild.

Here are some tests comparing traditional ONLINE with SORT_IN_TEMPDB on for a CLUSTERED index rebuild.  I'm guessing this is due to some of the overhead, plus not being able to use SORT-IN_TEMPDB option with RESUMABLE

I was a bit surprise at the extra amount of time it took to complete when I first paused the index build.

ALTER INDEX PKTableName ON tblTableName REBUILD WITH (ONLINE=ON,MAXDOP=4,SORT_IN_TEMPDB=ON)

--Four test iterations
    --56 seconds
    --45 seconds
    --50 seconds
    --47 seconds

ALTER INDEX PKTableName ON tblTableName REBUILD WITH (ONLINE=ON,MAXDOP=4,RESUMABLE=ON)

--Without Pausing..
    --1:19
    --57 seconds
    --58 seconds
    --55 seconds

ALTER INDEX PKTableName ON tblTableName RESUME

--With PAUSE and RESUME :
    --Paused at 20 seconds. 6:07 minutes after RESUME
    --Paused at 20 seconds. 1:28 minutes after RESUME
    --Paused at 24 seconds. 39 seconds after RESUME: Total: 63 seconds
    --Paused at 21 seconds. 3:25 minutes after RESUME

Finally, here's the OFFLINE version for comparison, which was an order of magnitude faster.  However, this may not be acceptable in production systems unless you can get an agreed downtime window.

ALTER INDEX PKTableName ON tblTableName REBUILD WITH (ONLINE=OFF,MAXDOP=4,SORT_IN_TEMPDB=ON)
    --13 seconds
    --12 seconds
    --13 seconds
    --14 seconds
  • What reason do you need to rebuild these indexes?

Michael L John

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply