SQL Server repair

• Hello All,

I am a bit new to this sql server stuff mostly done GUI work and asp development.

I however have a two computer network at home

the initial configuration was a single NT 4 workstation with SQL server 7 running on it

I then installed win2k server on the second machine as well as SQL 2k

i then upgraded the workstation to win2k professional.

Thus i now have a workstation - server environment all on a domain I call SAMPLE

now i dont have any problems with my SQL server on the server

however on the workstation running win2k pro I am unable to start SQL server. whenever I tyr to start the server it returns an error saying that the installation has been tampered with and that i should run setup

I am guessing that I have problems because of the upgrade from NT4 workstation to win2k pro but I am not sure

please any input as to how i would get SQL server on my workstation again will be appreciated

thanks

theoskii

• Did you change the machine name? If so it will give you that error.

As far as I know you will need to reinstall to get it working again.

Steven

• You could also do an spDropserver <servername> then an sp_addserver <newname>, local .

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• YEs I did change the computer name when I wanted to add it to the domain

If I perform a reinstallation how to i rebuild my databases without losing the data i have

I have come across stored procedure that can be used to solve this problem how do i uses these

thanks

theoskii

• The easiest way is just move all the *.mdf files out of your data folder. Then reinstall and verify all is running. Then copy your *.mdf back (excluding master, model, msdb) and just reattach.

Andy

• Hi,

In the case of theoskii, doing a reinstall will actually reconfigure the SQL Server with the new machine name. And the databases and other objects won't have any problem.

But, its always better to have a dump of the .mdf and other files.

Cheers

Parasu Raman

Regards
    Parasu Raman

• Hello all

thanks for all the tips so far.

however i was wondering is there a way of actually changing the machine name and not affecting the sql server installation

I ask this because I am always fiddling around with things on my system at home and i might end up doing this again at some point

cheeers

theoskii

• Not with SQL 7 - SQL 2000 behaves much better. I think Brian Knight has an article posted here on the site about it.

Andy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply