SQL Server Profiler Issue

• Don't know if I am missing something. I have just returned from a training class on optimizing SQL Server and we learned how to use the Profiler.

I am now trying to run the profiler on my Workstation trying to profile the production server. I get no results. If I run the profiler on the production server there are results that are returned. Is there something I am missing. I was told that it was better to run profiler off of the server (due to performance issues)

Please help

• Are you logging in as sa or a sysadmin?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• We are a sysadmin of the production server.

We did try a few other things. If we log onto another SQL Server/NT box and try to profile the production server then we return results. It seems to be if we are running the profiler from a Desktop Install of SQL, it does not return results. Is there a option that we are missing or can this not be done?

Thanks

• What versions of SQL?

I run SQL 2000 profiler from my W2K Pro desktop and it works fine against my SS2K servers. I have some problems with my SQL 7 server. Some events are not available.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• We are running SQL 7. We are putting together a business case for SQL 2000 though, but don't see that for 6 months or so

• Sorry I don't have a better answer. I actually don't have any SQL 7 desktops anymore to test it. Let me ask around if someone else can test.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply