SQL Server performance counters disappeared

• Hi.

There is an aparrent bug in Windows/SQL Server where if you bounce SQL Server while having Performance Monitor open, you lose your SQL Server performance counters.

Does anyone know how to get them back?

I have tried running

unlodctr MSSQLServer

lodctr sqlctr.ini

but no luck.

When in doubt - test, test, test!

Wayne

• We had to contact MS and they wound up coming on-site.  There are app. multi different ways of performing this and they may not always work.  In our shop they were able to fix 1 node and not the other

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• I thought there was a kb article on how to restore these, but I can't seem to find it. If anyone does, a link would be appreciated.

• A colleague of mine found this:

http://www.extremeexperts.com/SQL/FAQ/EnablingPerCounters.aspx

Seems the next step for me is to bounce SQL.

Thanks!!!

When in doubt - test, test, test!

Wayne

• If you are running multiple instances at Sp3a, you may have to get a hotfix from MS.  We had that problem, which was not good because we use performance alerts to dump transaction logs if they get to full.  We had to ensure each instance was at SP3a and then apply the hotfix to each instance.  Not to sure why they called it a hotfix though.  A server reboot was required afterwards.

( can't remember the hotfix number offhand, but it brings sql server to 780)

Ian Dundas
    Senior IT Analyst - Database
    Manitoba Public Insurance Corp.

• Check KB810185 and hotfix build number is 780.

You can install security fix ms03-031 which includes 780 fix and bring SQL Server build number to 818. Read KB815495.

• I just wanted to add that I also had this problem, but was concerned because perfmon was not running at the time we rebooted the box(our just stopping sqlserver service with it running will cause the problem also).  Then I realized that running MOM 2000 to monitor these boxes will cause you to lose the counters also.  Now whenever we stop the sql service or reboot our servers, I also be sure to stop the Onepoint service(MOM agent) on the box first.

Once they are gone I was never able to recover the counters without a reboot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply