SQL Server on RDS

• stephanie.sullivan (5/9/2012)

sku370870 (5/9/2012)

You've spend hundreds of hours developing. A lot of your business logic is in your stored procedures and functions. You can't afford SQL Server hosting of your own. You use this service - your web site gets popular ... what's to stop someone at Amazon ripping off your code?

I do however know of employees who have successfully ripped code and gone on to produce major businesses on the back of it and they could not be halted or prosecuted because they were individuals.

In that case, I'll stick with hosting it myself.

• sku370870 (5/9/2012)

stephanie.sullivan (5/9/2012)

sku370870 (5/9/2012)

You've spend hundreds of hours developing. A lot of your business logic is in your stored procedures and functions. You can't afford SQL Server hosting of your own. You use this service - your web site gets popular ... what's to stop someone at Amazon ripping off your code?

I do however know of employees who have successfully ripped code and gone on to produce major businesses on the back of it and they could not be halted or prosecuted because they were individuals.

You can file for a patent, or at least file "Intent to File" and sue anyone over patent violation.

• Aaron N. Cutshall (5/9/2012)

Several people have questioned the security aspect wondering if Amazon would just help themselves to the code or data in the instance.

I raised that issue initially and my question was whether 'someone' at Amazon could rip off your code. I was not suggesting that Amazon as a company, or any other company, would do that. Personally I think Amazon are a great outfit - I buy loads of stuff from them and their customer service is great. I was just posing the question to people who have a lot more experience of hosted environments (generally) whether this was ever an issue - with any company that offers hosting.

I have this vision of a young, smart bloke - knows his business well - sees a web site / database getting a lot of traffic and data and helping himself. It's always worried me enough to host my own sites. I just wanted to know if this was a real issue or was I being paranoid.

I've been told I'm being paranoid, including by one person who said they knew of employees doing exactly what I am worried about.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/9/2012)

sku370870 (5/9/2012)

That's just silly. I'm sure it happens, but when you have Netflix, AirBnB, Active.com, Ericsson, The Guardian, and more up there, all of whom have code worth stealing and are popular enough services to warrant it, your fears don't make any sense.

I've written it before, and I'll write it again. Almost everything you write in code is not some IP that's worth stealing or protecting. The integration of it all with your service is what your business sells. Worrying about anything else is naive, IMHO.

On the one hand it's silly but, on the other, you're sure it happens. Obviously all those sites you've mentioned have a lot more to them than just some code. But other sites, especially start ups, often are just code.

• sku370870 (5/9/2012)

On the one hand it's silly but, on the other, you're sure it happens. Obviously all those sites you've mentioned have a lot more to them than just some code. But other sites, especially start ups, often are just code.

Sure it happens, but no site is just code. If it is, it's already failed. Getting people to notice you, like your site, get value, that's what builds the business.

• Hmmm I need to investigate this further, but I did read an FAQ that I thought was interesting. Maybe this is just a big marketing pitch too. This site is run by Redgate and they are partnering with Amazon on this, so I think we have to take that into consideration too. 😀

Q: What does Amazon RDS manage on my behalf?

Amazon RDS manages the work involved in setting up a relational database, from provisioning the infrastructure capacity you request to installing the database software. Once your database is running on its own DB Instance, Amazon RDS automates common administrative tasks, such as performing backups and patching the database software that powers your DB Instance. For optional Multi-AZ deployments (currently supported for MySQL and Oracle database engines), Amazon RDS also manages synchronous data replication across Availability Zones and automatic failover.

Since Amazon RDS provides native database access, you interact with the relational database software as you normally would. This means you’re still responsible for managing the database settings that are specific to your application. You’ll need to build the relational schema that best fits your use case and are responsible for any performance tuning to optimize your database for your application’s workflow.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• sku370870 (5/9/2012)

stephanie.sullivan (5/9/2012)

sku370870 (5/9/2012)

To be clear I meant employees inside an organisation stealing code, not the hosting provider's employees

• FWIW, I appreciated the article on Amazon's offering. Marketing or not, I enjoy reading about anything SQL Server related. I do a lot of reading on my own to follow the industry but I don't have time to track down everything.

If top folks in the industry consider something interesting then there's a good chance it might be interesting to me. As to whether it suits my needs or solves a specific problem for me, it's up to me to then research further and make that decision.

Steve, keep up the good site. Rarely a day goes by that I don't read something on here.

• Henry_Lee (5/10/2012)

Steve, keep up the good site. Rarely a day goes by that I don't read something on here.

Thanks, and glad I can keep you interested.

• you can compile/encrypt your stored procedures.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply