• Hi, the code below successfully inserts a new user into my database:

Imports Microsoft.AspNet.Identity

Imports Microsoft.AspNet.Identity.EntityFramework

Imports System

Imports System.Linq

Namespace WebFormsIdentity

Public Class Register

Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Protected Sub CreateUser_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)

' Default UserStore constructor uses the default connection string named: DefaultConnection

Dim userStore = New UserStore(Of IdentityUser)

Dim manager = New UserManager(Of IdentityUser)(userStore)

Dim user = New IdentityUser

user.UserName = UserName.Text

Dim result As IdentityResult = manager.Create(user, Password.Text)

If result.Succeeded Then

StatusMessage.Text = String.Format("User {0} was created successfully!", user.UserName)

Else

StatusMessage.Text = result.Errors.FirstOrDefault

End If

End Sub

End Class

End Namespace

However if I add the following code:

Profile.PostCode = PostCode.Text

Profile.VisitedOn = DateTime.Now

Profile.Save()

and this in web.config:

<profile>

<properties>

<add name="PostCode" allowAnonymous="true"/>

<add name="VisitedOn" type="System.DateTime" allowAnonymous="true"/>

</properties>

</profile>

it gives the following error:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified).

[SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData, DbConnectionPool pool, String accessToken, Boolean applyTransientFaultHandling) +1394

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) +664

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) +57

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +1222

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) +318

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry) +211

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry) +393

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +122

System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server, String user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString) +83

[HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to connect to SQL Server database.]

System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server, String user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString) +173

System.Web.Management.SqlServices.SetupApplicationServices(String server, String user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString, String database, String dbFileName, SqlFeatures features, Boolean install) +113

System.Web.Management.SqlServices.Install(String database, String dbFileName, String connectionString) +51

System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.CreateMdfFile(String fullFileName, String dataDir, String connectionString) +469

Any ideas on what's causing this? I've tried restarting SQL Server, the connection must be fine as if I remove the few lines of code from the vb page it connects and can add a new user. If I add the code back in it suddenly can't connect.

Thanks

• It looks to me like your .NET application can't find the SQL Server. You define a connection string used to connect to the database. This can be done in code or in the web.config. This is where you specify the server name, login and password to connect. Check it out and make sure it's correct.

• Yeah that's all fine, the connection is made fine but as I said if I add in those three lines of code the server cannot be found.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply