SQL Server not detected

• Hi, I have a SQL Server 2012 installation that is not detected by the service pack/cumulative update/setup discovery report so I can't patch it or add any features. Repairing does not work because the repair does not find it either.

Other than that, it runs fine. I'm falling behind in patching this one so looking for a way to repair this problem.

Does anyone know what method the discovery report and other processes use to identify installed SQL Servers? Something in the registry maybe?

Thanks for reading.

• The only thing I can think of is that it may not actually be a SQL 2012 instance. Even eval edition instances should show up. Could this really be a 2014, or a 2008 R2 instance?

• Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same problem. SELECT @@VERSION returns Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (SP1) - 11.0.3128.0 (X64)

Dec 28 2012 20:23:12

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation

Express Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) (Hypervisor)

• daniel.moody (3/27/2015)

Express Edition (64-bit

😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Yes, but it would still be detected and you can patch express editions of SQL server.

• yes and no... I worked with Microsoft support in a screen share and we found that there were some missing registry keys. Thinking back, I think that was due to an incomplete uninstall.

The best option for us is to migrate the databases to another server and then rebuild or decom the server. It is getting old anyway.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply