SQL Server vNext

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server vNext

• Thanks for an information-packed editorial; could I be first to note the typo where you tell us that multiple caches are NOT available where I presume you intend to say 'now available' ?!

• Yes, thanks. Can't believe I missed that

• At least up until now, the problem with Query Store and AlwaysOn Availability Group secondaries has been that Query Store data is contained within each database, and if the database is a read-only replica, then it just inherits from the primary. Where I work, we have a data warehouse that is replicated to a secondary for use by several applications like the call center, analytics, and ad-hoc querying.So, the use case between the primary (ETL) and secondary (OLAP and operational with 200+ users) is very different. By design, there is no application querying of the primary, but it's actually the secondary where I spend most of the time troubleshooting and performance tuning with no help from Query Store, so I would just turn to other tools like SentryOne or roll my own DMV queries.

However, if I'm reading this new v2022 feature right, Query Store will now work on secondaries and other replicas the same as the primary. I hope that's the case. A lot of people have been requesting this enhancement of the feature for the past decade for reasons similar to my own.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I believe that's the case, allowing some better use of the QS on those secondaries. I honestly don't know, but I assume this is an improvement.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply