SQL Server Next ?

• Where do you think SQL Server VNET++ will be in the era of cloud computing?

-Forum Etiquette: How to post Performance Problems[/url]

-Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code to get the best help [/url]

• guess no where........:doze:

Tanx 😀

• please provide some details.

• If the cloud is grey you won't see (quel) it.

• Right where it is now.

Not everyone's going to rush to cloud computing and not all databases are even suitable for putting in the cloud.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I think we'll be more database centric, and less instance centric in terms of how we deploy and manage the th databases. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/1/2009)

I think we'll be more database centric, and less instance centric in terms of how we deploy and manage the th databases. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

That's happening anyway, even without cloud computing. Look at the SQL Fabric that was demo'd at PASS last year. (Is that still coming in R2?)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• But then what is the purpose of MS saying "from VNET++ onwards we will be completely in the cloud hosting" for databases.?

I know MS already in the field of Cloud computing like Amazon, Google, Zoho, Yahoo and Salesforce etc..

In fact, if I look on the editions of 2010 and according to

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2009/02/sql-server-2010-features-leaked/

Historically we’ve had Express, Developer, Standard and Enterprise, but the clear success in the marketplace of Windows Vista’s licensing scheme is carrying into the SQL Server world. We’ll be able to choose from:

Starter Edition – only allows 3 databases.

Developer Edition – optimized for cursors and triggers, and does not throw any error messages. Microsoft wants to make sure developers can quickly say, “It worked on my machine.”

Standard Edition – I know what you’re thinking: it’s named after The Standard, a hip, humorous and luxurious boutique hotel chain. You’re wrong.

Hybrid Edition – has the SQL Server GUI, but a MySQL engine. Everybody’s buying ‘em these days.

Enterprise Edition – everything you really wanted in Standard.

Ultimate Edition – acts as a Media Center repository, so you can save your TV shows and por – I mean, “home movies” on it. Scheduled for early release on BitTorrent.

Cloud Edition – like Enterprise Edition, but you pay by the byte stored. Pricing and service levels haven’t been announced yet, but you can go ahead and start developing on it now and I’m sure you’ll be fine.

• Vishal Singh (7/1/2009)

In fact, if I look on the editions of 2010 and according to

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2009/02/sql-server-2010-features-leaked/

You may want to read that article again. From the bottom of it.

Brent Ozar

I got two emails from people asking for more information, so I figured I’d better clarify that this is an April Fool’s style parody. Sometimes my humor is a little on the subtle side. I appreciate that folks hang on my every word, but sometimes – err, a lot of the time – I’m smiling when I say ‘em. Hope you had a laugh from it anyway!

There is no SQL Server 2010. There's SQL Server 2008 R2 which is apparently scheduled early next year and that's mostly BI-related add-ons to SQL Server 2008.

As for the Next Major Version of SQL Server (I use caps, because that's pretty much how the SQL dev people speak of it), there's little to no information available as to what's even going to be in there. Certainly there's no editions decided upon yet.

Gail Shaw

• Let me put it differently.

1) There is no SQL Server 2010: Gail right in saying here it will be just an addition in BI features of existing SQL Server 2008. Although, as per MS, it will be an entry point for them to cloud with SQL Server. God knows how... :hehe:.

Not to mention that the code name of this release will be SQL Server 'Kilimanjaro' and since it will release in the first quarter of 2010, people termed it as SQL Server 2010.

2) SQL Server VNET++ : this will be the new release of SQL server in 2011. perhaps the code name is "Project Madison".

this version is expected to be fully ready for cloud. seems like Ms is testing SQL server in 2010 ?

3) Now let me explain my question once again: Since the “Kilimanjaro” seems to be enriched with new additional BI to support cloud computing, what will be take after SQL server VNET++ release?

4) The edition that has been mentioned in my last post is for SQL server 2011.

I am trying my best to explain all the things but incase you find anything unclear, please feel free to post here..

• Vishal Singh (7/2/2009)

Let me put it differently.

2) SQL Server VNET++ : this will be the new release of SQL server in 2011. perhaps the code name is "Project Madison".

this version is expected to be fully ready for cloud. seems like Ms is testing SQL server in 2010

"Project Madison" is part of SQL 2008 R2. There's no public code name for the next major version of SQL Server yet and there's (afaik) no planned release date.

3) Now let me explain my question once again: Since the “Kilimanjaro” seems to be enriched with new additional BI to support cloud computing, what will be take after SQL server VNET++ release?

2008 R2 is self-service BI and scale-out BI mostly. As far as I know, there's no support for cloud computing in it.

Where did you see (other than Brent's blog, which was a parody) that 2008 R2 is cloud computing, that the next version is to be fully ready for the cloud?

There is SQL Data Services which is SQL in the cloud, but that's not 2008 R2. It's available now (though I'm not sure if it's beta or live)

Gail Shaw

• I got that from a weblink...let me try finding that again and post that here shortly.

• And so far I did not find that weblink back. Lots of Googling even didn't;t help. What I remember is the subject line was was something like "SQL Server Release Schedule" and it was a microsoft link where in one of the page they also had a picture displaying SQL Server release versions, there time (year of rlz) and feature highlights.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply