SQL Server Monitoring Tool for Multiple Servers

• Hi guys

Haven't found a solution yet, so I'll post my question here.

I have to monitor around 50 servers world-wide to ensure that backups are running, jobs are executing and db files aren't exploding. So far I have only found Idera's "SQL Diagnostic Manager". But the license costs are pretty high. I'd have to pay around US$ 45'000.- for 50 licenses.

Any other tools out there that would enable me to manage/monitor multiple servers?

Regards

hot2use

P.S. If this is in the wrong thread, then please move 😉 cheers

• We have two dozen SQL Servers in multiple locations that are monitored by Empirix OneSight (http://www.empirix.com).  We use it to performance monitor the SQL Server and Win2k health of our production servers, as well as monitoring databases, services and jobs.   Empirix polls the registry for Win2K and SQL Server perfmon performance monitors, and it has proven effective in our environment. Alas, licenses are not cheap.  Check it out!

• You could look at MOM (Microsoft Operations Manager). Also AppManager from NetIQ has some great tools for multiple SQL server management.

• Likewise on MOM - we are using MOM 2005 on 200+ servers - about 23+ (growing) are SQL Server. Also, you should check out the MSX server functionality already 'builtin' to SQL 2000 (no cost on that one !!!).

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Idera's SQL Diagnostic Manager formerly belonged to netIQ, but was sold off to Idera before Microsoft bought netIQ.

netIQ --> Microsoft

|

?

SQL Diagnostic Manager

|

?

Idera

• We use a product called Servers Alive.

http://www.woodstone.nu/salive/index.asp

Works pretty well and is very inexpensive as well.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Sounds pretty interesting. Does require a stand-alone server though.

Major drawback #1: If you have to flatten a member server, then you have to de-enlist and re-enlist the server. Tell that to the Admin in Bangalore or Yokohama...

We have affiliates all over the world and some of them run SQL. But we also have Admins all over the world. Alas, I am responsible for the SQL part (centralized) and they are responsible for the servers (decentralized). Go figure.

Thanks for the tip though. Didn't realize that SQL 2000 EM had a built-in "multiserver administration".

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply