SQL Server mirror pause

• Hello,

I have a question regarding pausing a mirrored database.

Let´s say I have DB1 which is mirrored to standby site into DB2.

I need to move DB2 physically to another place (moving the server).

Would it be enough to pause mirroring, move DB2 to another physical place, start up DB2 instance normally and then resume mirroring from primary? I´m hoping the primary will then ship the missing transaction logs to the standby site.

• oskargunn (3/21/2012)

Hello,

Would it be enough to pause mirroring, move DB2 to another physical place, start up DB2 instance normally and then resume mirroring from primary? I´m hoping the primary will then ship the missing transaction logs to the standby site.

Do you have a witness as part of the mirror session?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• What topology of mirroring did you configure ?

Keep in mind to double check your current principal server has enough free space (log) to cope with the time frame your secondary server will be off line.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• oskargunn (3/21/2012)

Hello,

One option:

You can do this without reconfiguring the mirroring BUT you'd need to use a CNAME record of the old DB2 server location to point to the new server location. This may or may not be feasible dependant on what else is sat on the DB2 server.

• No I don´t have a witness. It´s just plain db1<--->db2

• I might add that the IP address and DNS will be exactly the same after the migration of DB2. That´s why I thought I didn´t need any additional reconfiguration.

• If all you are doing is Physically moving the Server but retaining the Same FQDN and IP address then this will work.

The possible issues are

(a) Enough space on log drive of principal to retain the logs while Mirroring is suspended (as mentioned earlier)

(b) The time it will take for the Princiapl and Mirror to synchronize once you have the Mirror back online. Depending upon size of database, level of activity and length of time to physically move the Servers then it may be quicker to break and re-establish mirroring.

If you can take an outage while the Mirror is physically moved and there is minimal activity on the Principal then there should be no issues.

The process I have followed when doing such a move is:

(1) Switch to High - Performance (if not already)

(2) Suspend Mirroring

(3) Shut down and move the Mirror

(3) Resume Mirrororing

(4) Wait until Mirroring is synchronized and switch back to High Safety (if needed)

You may also want to disable an alerting that you have on the Mirroring latency during the move

• Patrick Flynn-384931 (3/22/2012)

(1) Switch to High - Performance (if not already)

Assuming your installed SQL server version allows this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply