sql server migration

• Hello,

I need a step by step approach on how to migrate sql server 2005 on a windows server 2003 machine to sql server 2012 on a windows 2012 machine.

I need to upgrade the user databases and I need every thing from the original instance - users/passwords, resolving orphaned users, updating default databases, updating system properties, migrating jobs, SQL Agent Operators, recreating DB Mail Profiles, change data capture functionality, restoring partitioning information and other specific database options that were once enabled.

(Unfortunately, I have not been approved to use a methodology that creates an instance of the same version of sql server 2005 on a windows 2008 machine,

restore the system databases and user databases and then use the migration wizard on the 2008 machine to upgrade to sql server 2012 on the windows 2008 machine and then restore these databases to sql server 2012 on the windows 2012 server. Irina Tudose's blog)

• do not restore the system databases, instead migrate the objects (login,jobs,etc)

A direct attach\upgrade of the user databases to sql server 2012 is supported.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply