SQL Server Memory Management Explained

• Thanks, I did reduce the max memory in SQL 2008R2sp1, and the current memory still grew back to 17GB. It appears that no matter what I put in for the max mem, we still go back into that paging issue. Yes, some users have said it is slow. The current mem stays pegged at 17.8 all day and even at night when no one is around.

• Thanks for the article Craig. I added this one to the briefcase.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Good stuff! Though not necessarily related, I have found the practice of allocating a small hard drive space for OS and installed programs can come back to bite you after a server gets some age. As we have installed updates to the C: drive, we have run into space issues, and in fact, have stopped installing updates. I expect this will cause pagefile problems eventually if the problem keeps growing. The 2GB of memory on the '03 server doesn't seem nearly as big as it did back when it was purchased!

Wallace Houston
    Sunnyland Farms, Inc.

"We must endeavor to persevere."

• One thing that I don't quite understand...

The last query in your article

• One thing that I don't quite understand...

The last query in your article,

----------------------------------------------

WITH MPAPlans

AS (SELECT plan_handle

, SUM(size_in_bytes) / 1024 / 8 AS numPages

FROM sys.dm_exec_cached_plans

GROUP BY plan_handle)

--------------------------------------------------

The execution plans should be mainly cached in buffer pool. So I think the CTE actually sum all the cache bytes from buffer pool and MPA. So the query result is not exactly how much space that the execution plans taking in MPA, right?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply